Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Replacement motors

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Replacement motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 06:48 PM
DHL131

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement motors

I have two boat hulls I need reasonably priced brushless motors and matching ESC's for. The first is a 1/12 scale proboat Miss Elam. The original is no longer available. It was a Dynamite A3630-1500. I need something comparable that could drop in with little modifications. The second hull is a 1/10 scale wood/fiberglass hull that I do not plan to race but just play around with. Hull feels kind of heavy. Need ideas and I'm on a budget. I know nothing about the electronics of these and how to choose an engine/ESC combo without burning up the pair. Need marine cooled units. Plan on using 4 to 6 cell battery units.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

As far as the Elam, contact Offshore Electrics. I'm sure they can come up with something that will work
RC Boats by Offshore Electrics
As far as the second boat, just saying it's wood and fiberglass and 1/10th scale doesn't really give us enough to work with. For example, what style of a boat it is would be a good place to start. Details would also be very helpful
Old 12-27-2021, 08:01 PM
DHL131

It's a 1/10 scale 73' Miss Circus Circus. I believe its a Newton hull and I've already reached out to David Newton to find out what else it ran under. I've got several options to finish it out but need an engine/ESC. I will not be racing it.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:53 PM
Hydro Junkie

There wasn't a 1973 Circus Circus. There was, however, a 1978 Circus Circus, the former 7474 Valu Mart hull. It also ran as the:
Weisfield's
Olympia Beer
Anheuser-Bush Natural Light
Gilmore Special.
It was designed and built by Ron Jones and was based on the previous Pay'N Pak cabover and 1972 Notre Dame hulls, also Jones creations. I'll bet that was more information than you ever expected to get

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-27-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:26 PM
Hydro Junkie

If that is the right boat, this is what the rule book says for the 1/10th scale class:
1) Power to be provided by a single motor meeting the following requirements:
2) ERCU approved motors shall be of an inrunner design and shall not exceed the following dimensions:
  • Length: 60mm (2.362 inches).
  • Diameter: 37mm (1.457 inches).
  • No modifications are allowed to the motor except for except for normal wear, drive flats or keys, electrical connectors and water cooling, it must be run as shipped from the manufacturer.
  • No modifications are allowed to the motor except for except for normal wear, drive flats or keys, electrical connectors and water cooling, it must be run as shipped from the manufacturer.
  • Bearings may be replaced at any time

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-27-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:56 AM
ABX131

I actually knew all that, Newton told me as much plus photos. I didn't have my list in front of me so I got the year wrong.Very impressive on your part. I dont want to race so I'm not too concerned about their requirements. Just want a cost effective set up to mess around with.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:15 PM
DHL131

What is the difference between a 4 pole and 6 pole motor? What does that mean?
Old 12-30-2021, 01:12 PM
birdo

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL131
What is the difference between a 4 pole and 6 pole motor? What does that mean?
It's like adding more cylinders. You will get more power, but also consume more. They also turn slower....