Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hello and thank you, newbi after some advice please

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Hello and thank you, newbi after some advice please

Old 01-23-2022, 03:25 PM
Jim1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and thank you, newbi after some advice please

Hello and thank you for letting me join your forum.
Iím new to this and looking for some advice please with a project I have.
about a year ago I bought a ď ready to runĒ boat called the Blue Streak 7008. Great boat but suddenly developed problems. My little one and I have spent a lot of time painting it etc so I donít want to throw it away. But basically I want to replace the controller and electrics ( I have two new motors) as it appears the little control box in the box is caput.
im working on a tight budget and wondered if anyone could advise me on what Iíd need.
Iíve tried, at length on reading up but Iím lost at what an esc does. Some Iím a total newbi to this.
any help would be greatly appreciated
all I can add is the boat is a twin motored thing with no rudder
huge thanks in advance
jim
Old 01-23-2022, 08:53 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The ESC is what actually controls the motors. Using outputs from the receiver, it controls how many volts actually go to the motors to control the boat's speed. With a boat like yours, it also speeds up or slows down the motors to make the boat turn.
What I would do is contact a shop that specializes in electric boats and let them know what motors you have. They would need that information to be able to recommend new ESCs that will work with your new motors. IF the ESC has an integrated radio receiver, you will need to get a new radio set as well.
Now, for the bad news. Your boat is what we in the hobby refer to as "toy grade". This just means that the boat, as well as the electronics, are not of a really high quality. For you and your "little one", this is not a bad thing since it's used as a toy and not for racing. It also means that the electronics that came with it are not going to last very long. Depending on what you purchased for new motors, the ESC could cost more than the whole boat did when you bought it new. A new radio set could also cost more than the boat. It could also be possible to order a new ESC for your boat, directly from the manufacturer. If that is possible, that would be your best option.
To give you an idea about the difference in toy to hobby grade boats, my boats are a bit more expensive since I race them. My current race boat has cost me around 2000 pounds so far. Since I run nitro fueled scale hydroplanes, the 11cc engine alone costs 445 pounds and will push the boat's 6.35Kgs to around 100Km or roughly two to three times the speed your boat will go.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-23-2022 at 08:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jim1978 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 02:54 PM
Jim1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The ESC is what actually controls the motors. Using outputs from the receiver, it controls how many volts actually go to the motors to control the boat's speed. With a boat like yours, it also speeds up or slows down the motors to make the boat turn.
What I would do is contact a shop that specializes in electric boats and let them know what motors you have. They would need that information to be able to recommend new ESCs that will work with your new motors. IF the ESC has an integrated radio receiver, you will need to get a new radio set as well.
Now, for the bad news. Your boat is what we in the hobby refer to as "toy grade". This just means that the boat, as well as the electronics, are not of a really high quality. For you and your "little one", this is not a bad thing since it's used as a toy and not for racing. It also means that the electronics that came with it are not going to last very long. Depending on what you purchased for new motors, the ESC could cost more than the whole boat did when you bought it new. A new radio set could also cost more than the boat. It could also be possible to order a new ESC for your boat, directly from the manufacturer. If that is possible, that would be your best option.
To give you an idea about the difference in toy to hobby grade boats, my boats are a bit more expensive since I race them. My current race boat has cost me around 2000 pounds so far. Since I run nitro fueled scale hydroplanes, the 11cc engine alone costs 445 pounds and will push the boat's 6.35Kgs to around 100Km or roughly two to three times the speed your boat will go.
thanks hydro for your reply. It is something Iíd love to take up as a proper hobby but money is tight so maybe not.
thank you for taking the time to reply and for sharing your knowledge. I guess itíll just have to remain as a model now rather than a working rc boat.
kindest regards
jim
Old 01-24-2022, 07:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Don't give up on the boat too fast. You can get the parts you need over a period of time and, come summer, you could be able to throw the boat back into the water. The other thing about upgrading is that you can use the new electronics in other boats you get later just by getting new receivers and servos as needed. I didn't just start out with a big, fast boat with modern radio gear either. I've had to work my way up from a kit build that turned out to be garbage in the end. My first boat was similar in size to yours, the only difference is my first boat ran a 3.5cc HB engine that was a factory modified airplane engine. It didn't have the power or RPM capabilities to move the boat properly so a boat that was supposed to run across the top of the water just chugged along like a barge. Here is a boat I built, using the same type of kit that didn't work as templates.
Click image for larger version

Name: To43728.jpg
Views: 1854
Size: 124.7 KB
ID: 1647904
There was a period of 29 years between the first kit build and this boat that I was learning the ins and outs of building hydroplanes. This one is night and day better than the kit but still isn't up to the standard I want it to be at.