Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Steam powered RC boats >

Steam powered RC boats

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Steam powered RC boats

Old 05-01-2023, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam powered RC boats

How far back do steam powered RC boats go?
Old 05-02-2023, 04:19 PM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I remember seeing one featured in a boat modeling magazine that was built back in the 1960s. Don't remember what it was, just that it was all scratch built, including the power plant. Since radio gear was very rudimentary back then, the builder could probably only control the rudder enough to have general directional control of the model.
The following users liked this post:
ShilohSk8 (05-02-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 01:42 AM

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I remember seeing one featured in a boat modeling magazine that was built back in the 1960s. Don't remember what it was, just that it was all scratch built, including the power plant. Since radio gear was very rudimentary back then, the builder could probably only control the rudder enough to have general directional control of the model.
Both toy steam engines as well as hobbyists building miniature steam engines go way before that (for sure in the 1920's in germany toy steam was allready commercially availlable, Wilesco celebrated it's 100th anniversary a few years ago) so it stands to reason that steam powered model boats also go back about that far, roughly, simply because people are people and someone was bound to put one of those engines in a hull and push it out on a lake.

AFAIK, in England, tethered speedboats have been steampowered since well before the last world war as well.

So yeah, they go back a long way, and I think it is safe to say, "close to a century"...