Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can I seal a servo to make it water tight?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

How can I seal a servo to make it water tight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 11:18 AM
MUISER
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I seal a servo to make it water tight?

I have a Hitec 815 BB sail winch servo that I would like to make water tight. Is there something I can paint on the outside of it or is there something I can do to the inside of it. I know the speed boats have a water tight compartment that the servo's are in but they must get exposed to water sometimes. How do you prevent them from jittering after you drain them out? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. Ron
Old 05-21-2002, 05:30 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There are 2 items that can help waterproof your servos on the inside, Corrosion X and Aeroplate. They both come in small spray bottles and work great. You can also seal the case using a silicone sealant such as Shoe Goo or Goop.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:48 PM
MUISER
My Feedback: (3)

Default Corrosion X and Aeroplate

Where can you get Corrosion X and Aeroplate?
Old 05-31-2002, 02:25 PM
Jazzy

Be careful when using silicone or any other substance which cures. Many sealants release fumes when curing that may corrode delicate electronic connections within the servo.
Before I found this out I sealed the two servos in my Traxxas Nitro Vee with silicone. No problems yet... .
Old 06-01-2002, 05:38 AM
gene375

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default water proof servo's

i have a 40" prather deep vee w/46VRM OS, I sealed both servos,the reciever, and my failsafe by enclosing them in small balloons, and using a small amount of rtv (silicone) around the mouth of the balloon where the wires exit. after enclosing the servo, use a pin to make a pinhole where the servo gear needs to be...I also used the silicon to seal the radio box lids..
Old 06-01-2002, 05:57 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually there are many water tight servos available, just check the spec's. I don't think you're sail winch servo is one of them...

The Aeroplate is designed to coat the electronics with a thin film and offer them water-resistance not water-proofing. Not sure about the Corrosion X, had not hear or read it was like Aeroplate.

As mentioned typical Silicones are a no-no with all electronics... Shoe Goo and the like are safe...

I use water tight compartments... The RX and battery are enclosed in RX balloon, Kyosho and other's offer these for this specific application. I first fold a paper towel and then wrap it around the RX or battery this helps absorb any moisture that might make in... Then I twist the neck of the balloon closed and hand hold closed with a small nylon wire tye.

The water tight compartment is sealed, various methods work well. Pushrod or cable exits/seals are available form various sources. Use some Vaseline or waterproof lubricant around the seals/push-rods to help seal them up and prevent water migration.
I also use paper towels in the water tight compartment, again it absorbs stray water and alerts me to a problem. Additionally I use a rubber boat plug on the top of my water tight enclosure, after I run the boat I pop the plug and leave out until next time I wanna play. The plug makes easy access available to the charging jack as well, I tie a piece of dental floss to the charge jack and the plug. Dubro and others make a end mount switch holder that works through a bulkhead with a push-rod and a knob, real sweet for a boat.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:20 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Aeroplate is available from Hobby Shops that carry Aerotrend products. Most have to order it because boaters are about the only ones that use it although it would work great for R/C cars that get wet or float planes. Some of the Shoe-Goo type products do contain a solvent that can eat away at curcuit boards so you have to watch out for which ones that you buy. If it has an ammonia odor to it, don't use it! I've used the Aeroplate with good results, it saved my radio equipment yesterday when my son's boat went under at a race. It saved the day and the price of the Aeroplate was cheaper than replacing a servo not to mention a reciever!
Old 07-15-2002, 06:20 PM
KLW 17

As I have never managed to have a water tight radio box, I am a firm beliver in Corrosion-X. I coat the servos insides, drain the excess, and install. Sometimes I leave one of the screws out of the case or drill a small hole to allow water that gets into the servo a way out. The Corrosion-X will let the servo work but the water needs to be drained. I am not a big fan of sealing servos up for the simple fact it is a pain to get them back apart. For most servos, this is not a big deal as the throttle servos most widely used are standard servos and and are reletively inexpensive. The 1/4 scale servos are a different matter. They are suseptable to stripped gears when the rudder hits something: Shore, other boats, turtles, workbench. At $60.00 a pop, gears are much cheaper! Easy acsses is a must, especially in the pits at a race! A lot of guys now are leaving the servos outside the box, fastened to the rail. Corrosion-X has definately saved my equipment. Sorry to sound like a commercial!

Kevin Lee Willetts Team Riptide Racing#17
President of the Wilmington Area Model Boaters