Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Radio Controller Advice

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Radio Controller Advice

Old 03-07-2004, 11:40 PM
knelson27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Controller Advice

Ok Guys,
I need to know the best 2-channel radio controller for my boat that is going to give me the farthest range, so I dont lose my boat too soon when out get out in the water. I have been using a Futaba 2PHKA. It works... but I get a bit nervous when I get out a ways. Is there something that will get better range? Who is using what and what do you recommend? Thanks
Kevin
Old 03-08-2004, 07:18 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Radio Controller Advice

knelson27,
MOst radio systems are about the same as far as power output of the transmitter is conserned. The one sure way of extending range is by using the biggest antenna (longest) on the receiver that you can. The higher you can get it above the boat, the longer the range. You should ~always~ do a range test no matter what radio system, or after making any modification to the antenna. Keeping fresh batteries in both transmitter and receiver also helps.
Increasing the power of the transmitter is possible, but you don't really want to go there. Unless you do a lot of modifications to the transmitter, the increase in power just isn't going to be enough to make a lot of difference. Besides being illegal in the US, your fellow boaters won't appreciate it either (lots of interference possibilities)!
- 'Doc
Old 03-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The FCC limits the output to 100 mw which should still give you a 1/4 mile radius range. FM and PCM radios just give you a cleaner signal. If my boat is more than 1/4 mile away, I'm in trouble anyway because at that distance it's a mere spot on the water.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:23 PM
knelson27

Hey Guys,
Thanks very much for the Radio advice and info. As usual, youve been of great help. I will definitely go for the long receiver antenna plan and fresh batteries. I definitely have no intention of doing any kind of modifications that increase signal, as I dont know enough about that area to attempt it. A distance of 1/4 mile sounds like plenty to me... I am actually surprised you are able to get that range. I dont think Ive ever been able to get that sort of distance with my R/C car, which uses the same radio I use for my boat. This is why I get scared with distance with my boat. I will definitely be doing so tests to extend my range and thanks again for the help... I appreciate it...
Kevin
Old 03-11-2004, 04:13 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Without sounding like a smart ***** , I would like to correct Ron O . The max output is 750 milliwatts - aka - .75 watts

Old 03-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

No problem Bob, too many numbers in my head! I can't be right all of the time, ask my wife!