Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to Nitro Boats

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to Nitro Boats

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 01:27 PM
smaerd58
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Nitro Boats

New to Nitro Boats
I am new to nitro and want a reliable boat to take out on the small pond beside our house. What boat do you guys recommend? I am looking for something that is reliable & I can take out from time to time just messing around.Thanks,smaerd58
Old 03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Aaronie

Default RE: New to Nitro Boats

I would suggest you get a gas boat, forget about the nitro. If you know what your doing with the nitro engines, then get one, but you say your new to it so....

It takes a lot of work to get a nitro boat reliable. Gas engines are a lot easier and if you have a small pond right by your a house a gas boat would be a lot more fun. You say you want to mess around and that's what you would be doing with a nitro boat. You wouldn't be fiddleing around with a gas boat as much as a nitro (More driving time and less headaches with gas!). I'm not trying to talk you out of nitro, BUT I think a gas boat is the way to go for you.

Check out [link=http://www.whobbies.com]Warehouse Hobbies[/link] for some nice, reliable gas boats.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:10 PM
mayor greez

[8D]

Check out the Nitro Hammer from Hobbico, it's got a good price and is designed specifically for those new to R/C boats.

Cheers,
-Greez
Old 03-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

How small is the pond? Nitro and Gas boats need some room to run so if you are looking for dependability then you might want to look at an Electric powered boat. Avoid Radio Shack or Toys "R" Us boats, slow and you won't be able to get parts easily for them. What price range are you trying to stay in?
For Nitro, I'd go with the Nitro Hammer also, fast and dependable for the price. CEN Racing boats aren't a bad choice for a 1st Nitro burner also.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:32 PM
ooooo

Try the Kyosho Nitro Viper. It's a .15 nitro boat with lots of power and speed. Instant turns and lots of fun. Suitable for small or big ponds. Low noise, good on nitro. It was my first boat and I knew nothing about engines. Just start and go play.
Then there is the Traxxax Nitro Vee....good boat also for a beginner. But by no means buy or run a gasoline boat.....I repeat, DON'T. Gasoline engines are too powerful for a new beginner who wants to run beside their house alone or with kids around. Learn about the dangers of this hobby first and what a Balanced, Sharpened prop turning at 25k+ can do in a fraction of a second.
The Kyosho and Traxxax has plastic props, but can still do some damage.

Just my two bits. Have fun whatever you decide and which advise you take.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:09 AM
smaerd58
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks. for all the replies. I am probably torn between the Nitro Trucks & Boats and would like at least 1 of each to mess with so I am looking for a company that makes both and I can use the same Radio etc. for both if anyone knows of any please let me know your thoughts.I have heard from some about a company called CEN that makes both but I don't know much about them.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:34 AM
ooooo

CEN is ok. Kyosho and Traxxas both makes trucks and boats.

Traxxas has the T-Maxx Truck and the Nitro Vee boat
Kyosho has the Crusher Truck and the Nitro Viper boat.

The two Radio Controllers should work fine. You just need an extra receiver with the same crystal as the radio.