Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Battery Power for Dumas USS Crocket

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Battery Power for Dumas USS Crocket

Old 03-28-2004, 03:32 PM
jkotlanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Power for Dumas USS Crocket

I built Dumas' USS Crockett over the the past year and tested it last fall and it ran really well. I took it out for a run today on our local pond. My DUMAS 6 volt battery did not hold its charge after nearly 10 hours on trickle charge. As a result I ended up waiting two hours for the wind to blow the boat to the other side where my son was able to recover it. I would like to get a better battery system.

The boat has 2 DUMAS 6 volt motors, a DUMAS mechanical speed control. Are there any alternatives to a DUMAS 6 volt battery pack? Can I use NiMh battery pack? Can I use a motorcycle battery? Can I get longer run times with them or with any solution other than DUMAS? How many cells would I have to have? Or am I stuck buying another DUMAS 6 volt battery?

I would appreciate some help on this. The DUMAS battery costs about $65.00 and does not seem real reliable.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:37 PM
pompebled

Default RE: Battery Power for Dumas USS Crocket

Hi!

As you mention trickle charge, I assume that it's a lead gel battery we're talking about.
You did not leave it hooked up to the speedcontrol over the winter, I hope?
Mechanical speedcontrolers are notorious for their inacuracy to return completey to zero, draining the battery to death in the process.

If it won't charge any more, there's not a lot you can do, but replace it.

Any 6V lead gel battery with the same dimensions and Ah will do.

NiMh batteries are more suitable for fast electrics.
If you want rechargeable batteries, go with NiCads, (Sanyo 2400) they have 1,2V per cell, so for 6V, you'd need 5 of them, and a suitable charger.
Motorcycle batteries mostly have a liquid electrolyte (acid!) and are not advisable in modelboats.

Greetings, Jan.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:19 PM
jkotlanger

Thanks for your reply. The DUMAS battery said that it was a dry chemical battery that can be loaded anyside up within an application. I am hoping that I can find a battery with long run times, many recharges, and affordablability. Any thoughts
Old 03-29-2004, 07:04 AM
LtDoc

'J.K',
Once a 'gel cell' is completely 'dead', it's 'dead' forever, won't hold a charge worth a 'hoot' anymore. If one won't be used for some time, store it fully charged and disconnect it from everything.
There are several manufacturers of gel-cells, Dumas isn't the only one (Dumas doesn't make batteries, they have their brand name put on them by the real manufaturer.)
The 'simplest' solution is to remove the dead battery and replace it with another, then remember to charge it before storing. 'Getting to' the battery to change it isn't going to be exactly easy...
- 'Doc
Old 03-29-2004, 09:18 AM
pompebled

Hi JK!

Take a look at this info:

http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/gelcellagm.html

I suggest you select a 6V lead gel batterie, with the same weigth as the one that died, and you should be back in business.

I find the prices Dumas charges for something as simple as three 2V cells stuck together, rather ridiculous, compared with those of the lead gel batteries.

I've run lead gel batteries for years, they keep on going and going....
Store them fully charged and look in on them every 6-8 weeks (with a Volt meter, that is).

Greetings, Jan.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:24 AM
jkotlanger

Jan,
I went back and looked at the battery. It is a 6V5Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery. Is that the same as a gell battery?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:34 AM
pompebled

Yep!

As far as the intended use, it's the same thing.

Jan.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:44 AM
jkotlanger

Jan,
Thanks for the info. I found the identical battery at a site called BatteryMart.com which I was able to purchase for 16.00 each vice the 55.00 price listed in tower hobby. The DUMAS battery is a Hawker Cyclon brand with a different sticker on it. I bought two so I would have a spare.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:35 PM
pompebled

JK,

I'm glad "shopping around" gave you twice as much for less.

I should have remembered that they were Cyclone batteries, I used them (a long time ago) in a 2V sinlge cell capacity to start my nitro engine.

Greetings, Jan.