Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Starting an inboard engine

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Starting an inboard engine

Old 04-02-2004, 10:32 AM
boatbuilder42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting an inboard engine

I am a novice R/C Boater and unmasking the mysteries of how to find running hardware and the components of an inboard engine are still a mystery to me. But the main mystery is how do you start an inboard nitro engine that doesn't have the pullstart option?? Please advise.
Thanks,
Devan
[email protected]
Old 04-02-2004, 12:46 PM
leisure lake

Default RE: Starting an inboard engine

A belt around your flywheel spun by a 12 volt starter will get your inboard running.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:04 PM
toyboy63

He is right.You put a belt over the starter pulley attached to the crank of the motor(which you can buy).This stays there all the time.You lift the belt up in the grove and slip it over a 12 volt starter.The ones you use for airplanes will work.Most of them have a grove in the cone end.When it starts,you just tuck the belt out of the way so it won`t get caught.[8D]
Old 04-04-2004, 01:15 AM
KamPuiWong

Something like the picture shown.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71449.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	118507  
Old 04-05-2004, 08:27 PM
boatbuilder42

So why wouldn't you just buy a pull start engine to begin with?? I mean you would need a 12 volt battery and an engine starter just to start the engine. Or you could just pull on a pull start and not have the odd angles and issues with placing the boat somewherer, holding the boat, holding the starter and sometimes holding your finder over the engine throttle to get it to start.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:18 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

First ... not all engines HAVE the option of pullstarters .
Second , it NOT a very wise thing to do HOLDING your bat while starting it . LOTS of things COULD happen .
Lets say ... that nice copper prop decides it wants to "taste" how good your leg might be ? Because you "accidently" moved just a bit the wrong way ?
Or ....
How about the poor ole hull itself ? Hummmm ... all the UNEVEN pressure caused from the person holding it and then appling the starter ( whether its a pull start , or electric start )

So , lets see .... how about ease ???? Put the boat on a boat stand ... THEN you will have your BOTH hands free till you get ready to start the engine ...

So , we have a safety factor , and a reason for longevity of the integral part of the hull for two main GOOD reasons why NOT to start the boat whilst holding it .[8D]

Or you could just pull on a pull start and not have the odd angles and issues with placing the boat somewherer, holding the boat, holding the starter and sometimes holding your finder over the engine throttle to get it to start.

Issues ???? wouln't have them if you put the boat on a secure boat stand
Old 04-06-2004, 01:54 PM
fryfrog
My Feedback: (1)

I've got a pull started OS .32 and would certainly be happy with an electric start on it. Fuel gets in and fouls the cord, the spring can uncoil, rust and/or break, pulling it while not firmly holding the engine can jerk the motor or boat around and this can mess with the mounting system. I could probably have bought an electric starter and belt for the amount I have paid in replacing the pull starter 2 or 3 times