Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

WHICH RADIO TA BUY???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

WHICH RADIO TA BUY???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:40 PM
BMAD01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHICH RADIO TA BUY???

I'm settin up me first 1/8 scale "CAT", an wanna know the general opinions of youze guys on who makes the BEST, radio's an srevo's. I would like to be able to change frequencies fast, if needed. I know that I'll need a 1/4 scale servo for the rudder, but howz bout the throttle? I'm gonna be running a full/mod G260 with B.H. Hanson exaust system and Balantine rudder + drive setup. Oh yea, almost forgot, the last boat that I built, (a while back) I used a Futaba setup. And, as I recall it was a pretty nice rig! Ceptin, I can't remember what model it was.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:09 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: WHICH RADIO TA BUY???

Ok , I'll answer your question to the servo for the throttle control - any standard servo will do the trick with ease .
Now , about WHICH brand ? Well , thats like that old arguement about Chevy's and Fords .
Now , I , myself , will only use HITEC or Futaba and to me , they are equals ( in Tx and Rx - NOT servos )
For servos ... its Futaba . They cost more , but I used to be dedicated to only Hitec till I found that they seemed to have a problem with the 1/4 scales a while back which caused some MAJOR headaches for myself and will NOT use them again .
Now , as you already realize ... this is one of those IMO type questions where there is , no right , and no wrong answer .
Some will tell you that you need to buy one of those HIGH dollar fancy pants'ed radios . NOT true . Those computerized ones , altough they CAN handle up to 10 different Rx's .... I would rather simply switch out the crystals .... ( MUCH easier and WAY less complicated ! )
Old 04-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to agree with Bob (I usually do anyway). You have to look at all of the radios out there and see what features that you like and need. Remember that they are made for boats and cars so you wouldn't for instance need braking features. Some radios go a little over the top with trims, model memory and all kinds of bells and whistles. Get a decent FM or PCM radio with 2 channels and you'll be happy.
As for servos, you don't really need a 1/4 scale servo any more to get the torque that they put out. There are a lot on the market now in a standard size that have just as much, if not more torque and faster transit speed of the larger ones.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:51 AM
BMAD01

Thank you, TERBObob and Ron Olson! You guy's have brought back GOOD memories, about all the GREAT PEOPLE there are in R/C boating. I have been out of the hobby since I moved out here to Denver, 8yrs. ago. I finally, missed all the fun that I used to have so much, that I decided to get back into it, NO MATTER WHAT! Can you believe, there are'nt any hobbieshops in this COWTOWN that believe they need to stock a wide variety of R/C boating stuff? But, "I am determined to have my way!" And the internet is a wonderful tool. And you two have given me help. Now, as far as CHEVY V/S FORD, I gotta agree that FUTABA wins. I have searched the net and read about all the different radio's. And I agree, I know I only need 2 channels, and I definately can't use brakes! But as far as the servo thing, I still believe BIGGER IS BETTER! (why do ya think I went to a full/mod Zenoah, right from the start?) And unless I take the time to read and then compare the stats on All the servo's, (which I guess I'll have to do anyhow) I'm still leaning twards the 1/4 scale for the rudder. But, techknowelegy, no doubt has made it's way to the servo industry. And they are making things smaller, with more power every day. So, live/read/learn! But don't forget that there are guy's like you two to give a word of experienced help along the way! Thanks, BMAD01
Old 04-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't think that you're alone in the Mile High City. I've got 3 Hobby Shops where I live and their boat supplies consist of one with a small pegboard, one with 2 small boxes and the last has only a few typical boats. I usually have to order most of my gear from Gary Preusse in Illinois.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:47 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

GET THE 3 CHANEL HITEC STICK RADIO...

SO U CAN TUNE THE FUEL NIDLE
Old 04-11-2004, 05:24 PM
BMAD01

What are you talking about D G D? Are you tellin me to put in a 3rd servo, just to adjust the carb settings while the boat is out in the water? OH YEA, ALL YOUZ GUY'S, It's carved in STONE, and shipping tomorrow, an "F-41 Stryker"!
Old 04-12-2004, 07:06 AM
lawnsplus

You will not need 3rd channel for gas power-the nitro boats use 3rd channel. If you don't already know, go to Jims R-C Boat Dock for stryker and any other "gas" set up help. The info there is endless; manuf., picture and discussion sites available for gas boaters. After you get the cat up and going then build a gas powered 1/4 scale airboat to take along and play. John
Old 04-12-2004, 07:17 AM
TERBObob

Forget JIMS DOCK .. bypass that , and go straight to the one man , who KNOWS Stryker cats .
Go to PAUL G's website . There , he can tell you ANYTHING you wanted to know , from setup , to mods , to props and performances ....
Here's a link for you :

http://www.rcprops.com/TechNotes/rcboat_tech_info.htm

Take a look ALL over , while your there . THis man is has a WEALTH of knowledge .[8D]
Old 04-12-2004, 08:09 AM
LtDoc

BMAD01,
Just depends on how many channels you really 'need', and how 'healthy' your wallet is! Having an extra channel comes in handy every now and then. Who knows what you may want to 'add' to your boat later? Or if you may decide to try a boat that requires more than two channels.
As for frequency, some of the newer radios use a variable frequency 'module', just turn a dial to select a new frequency. Very convenient, but you do pay for it! Same for the other 'bells-n-whistles', they aren't free.
The range, or power, of radio swystems is fairly standardized, so except for paculiarities of the various different brands, they're most all the same (the receiving antenna makes more difference than the radio's power output).
Servos are also 'standardized', you can use different brands by just changing the connector (in most cases, but not all!). Use the ones that fit your needs.
I use a Futaba, not because it's any better than the other brands (beats me, haven't trried them all), but because they aren't as 'glitzy' as some of the others. And mainly because I got a good deal on one!
- 'Doc

PS - Friends, don't let friends drive a Chevy...
Old 04-12-2004, 08:14 AM
TERBObob

PS - Friends, don't let friends drive a Chevy...
shhhh .... thats only because they want to save all the GOOD cars for themselves ... Once ya drive a Chevy... you'll NEVER go back
Old 04-12-2004, 09:04 AM
nofx

Hi the gas boat i've just purchased comes with a 'Futaba attack2' radio system. I've done a little research, but couldn't find much on them. Can anyone tell me much about this particular type? Especially the range.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:09 AM
TERBObob

The ATTACK 2 is your basic 2 stick radio ( some were white , some grey in color ) , range on it is the same as any other ... 1500 feet aprox with an output max of 750 mw ( milliwatts )
Not a bad radio ( old , but not bad ) ... just a basic 2 channel . Not a thing wrong with using it either . I had two and enjoyed them
Old 04-12-2004, 09:18 AM
nofx

i know alot of boats are different? but generally, is the throttle 'controlable' on gas boats? or is it like on and off?
cheers
Old 04-12-2004, 09:33 AM
TERBObob

Ok ... giving just the basics here since , there soooo many different boats and types of powers .
On gassers ( like weed eater style motors ) , they are all radio controlled throttled , which means variable speed .
On nitros , some are what is referred to a RC ( which means radio controlled ) which is throttle controlled , again , meaning variable speed regulated by the radio transmitter .
On some nitros , they are called control line or CL which means there is NO throttle control , its either full bore , or not running .
Then , on some nitros , there is also a 3rd channel ( in addition to the regular throttle controlled carb servo ) ( radio controlled ) which allows the user to adjust the fuel going to the motor allowing the fuel to get "richer" or more "lean" as needed . ( nitros need to be adjusted as per the weather conditions require - meaning - if you set the engine up at morning , and its chilly outside , then , by mid-day , the carb settings need to be re-adjusted for maximum performace , due to less humitity , warmer temps ...etc ,etc ,etc )
On electrics , it is the same as nitros with one more addition . Some cheaper toys have one , two , three speeds . Electrics regulate the amount of amperage thru a electronic device called an ESC ( electronic speed control ) , these can vary in both how much amperage , and voltage they can handle ( sometimes you will see them referred to as to how many turns of the electric motor they can handle , sometimes how many motors of how many turns , and also how many cells ( batteries ) and then , some just are in plain English and state how much voltage and amperage they can handle ... ( yeah , I know ... confusing , huh ? )
Then , there is an old style speed control which works off a rheostat ... it is wire wound piece of ceramic which as a throw arm travels across it , allows either more , or less voltage to travel to the opposite end which is how it regulates the speed of the electric motor . This also requires a servo to control the throw arm that travels across the rheostat , whereas a ESC , does not require a servo to control it . ( now ... did I confuse the heck out of ya yet ? )
Old 04-12-2004, 09:53 AM
nofx

yeah, a lil confused. its just late here, thats probably why! [sm=tired.gif]
What exactly is a servo??
Old 04-12-2004, 10:48 AM
TERBObob

Ok .... gonna explain this , hoping your not trying to choke my chicken here ...

A servo is a motor that is encased in a plastic housing that is digitally controlled , which when a signal is received ( from the receiver part of a radio setup ) , it acts upon the signal . Moving in the direction and amount of direction as per directed via the transmitters original signal after being received by the radio receiver .
Thus , in turn , this is what moves the device that is needed to be moved . ( throttle control on a carb , steering - rudder , or ???? The servos come in different torque ranges .... anything from ultra light weights for items like park flyers , to super heavy duties for things like battle-bots .
Generally , the ones most often found and used range from around 30 ounces of torque , up to a just over 200 ounces of torque ( the 1/4 scales are generally the ones used for high speed boats requiring lots of torque for the rudder(s) )
To view some examples , click on the following link :
http://servocity.com/html/hitec_servos.html

And then click on any of the model numbers listed and it will give you the specs and sizes of the servo.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:12 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

get a 3 chanell radio!
best is hitec the stick one!!

so u can tune the fuel nidle runing with out get the boat out and start it again
Old 04-12-2004, 06:50 PM
TERBObob

Hey DelGatoGrande
< Did you read that he is putting a 260 Pum Zenoah motor in it ? NOT a nitro ???
Old 04-12-2004, 06:53 PM
BMAD01

THANKS TORBObob! You're right Paul G., IS THE MAN!! Ya know, I spent most of yesterday at "THE DOCK", and there are MANY Stryker owners there. I found many of the questions that I WAS going to ask, already answered! But it took me ALL DAY! But the price of knowledge, and how much you want, is how hard ya wanna work for it! I have'nt comitted to anything other than, the engine, and the hull so far. Now, thanks to the lead ya just gave me, I pretty much know what kind O drive hardware I'll be gettin! Right now, I've got me hands full, just workin the hardware angle for this boat out. I gotta HOT lead on a "machined stuffing box!" The radio will have to wait a couple O weeks. BOY!! I JUST HAD A FLASH!! MAYBE, I COULD RIG A 3rd CHANNEL TA KICK OFF A "MEPPS SPINNER", AN DO SOME TROLLIN!! WADDYA THINK??????????BRIAN
Old 04-12-2004, 06:57 PM
TERBObob

Thems gonna have to be some mighty fast fish to catch up with the Mepps ...

Very glad you are pleased . Paul G is VERY well known , not only for his prop twisting , BUT , more so , for his knowledge of the Stryker cat .

Again , best of luck with your new hull .
( make sure to keep us updated with its progress .... )
Old 04-12-2004, 07:23 PM
BMAD01

YOUBECHYABYGOLLIE I WILL TORBObob! Brian[:@]