Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody know how to make a Dyno?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Anybody know how to make a Dyno?

Old 04-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Brano1025

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know how to make a Dyno?

Hi does anybody know how to make a dyno. I want to test my Homelite 25cc. If anyone knows where to buy one that would help too.[8D]
Old 04-17-2004, 11:34 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Anybody know how to make a Dyno?

Brano,
A 'dyno', or dynomometer, measures power (or voltage, or current, or horsepower). One way would be to hook the motor to a generator, measure the output voltage, then correlate or convert that voltage to horsepower. As long as all the measurements (or motor output) are done on the same dyno the 'units' that dyno reads in doesn't make a lot of difference. You're only comparing motors. If you want the readings to mean something specific, as in comparing to the results of a 'real' dyno, you'll have to be able to take some very exacting measurements. The more 'exacting' the readings, the more money you'll have to throw at it.

Another option is to measure the amount of 'work' that a particular motor can do. How much can it pull/tow/push/lift? That can also be converted to power output of the motor and/or drive system.

Probably the easiest (most convenient) method is to hook the motor/model to a scale, measure it's pulling power in pounds/grams/etc. In the case of a model, take into account any gearing, etc, and 'pencil' your way to a reading.

Good luck...
- 'Doc
Old 04-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Brano1025

Thanks LtDoc, I just wanted to compair my Homelite to my other engines I have. What kind of scale do you think would work (any examples). Thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 10:12 AM
LtDoc

Brano,
The kind of scale doesn't make any difference at all, as long as it covers the 'range' that can be expected from a particular motor/model. If the model's pulling power is in the 'ounces' range using a scale that measures 'pounds' isn't going to work too well. Same for the 'other way' around. I would expect your 'Homelite' would require a scale that measures 'pounds'?

Simplest procedure is to just hook the scale to the back of the boat, give it full throttle, and see what the scales reads. It's sort of a good idea to use a length of line between scale and boat, otherwise you might take a 'bath' from the propwash (if you're holding the scale). A fish weighing scale might be waht you need?

Same thing should work for just a motor by it's self, just have to hook it up differently and remember to take into account any 'mechanical advantage' such as the diameter of a pully on the motor shaft, or whatever.
- 'Doc