Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

dumas scarab 60

Old 04-18-2004, 11:01 PM
snakeyez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumas scarab 60

has anyone heard of this boat. its been offerd to me for 250 bucks needs put together.it appears a little older. does any one have one and how easy are parts to get?
Old 04-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: dumas scarab 60

I don't have one but have seen a couple run. Parts should be no problem at all to get, the basic stuff hasn't changed much in 20 years. This boat uses the normal setups for boats in it's class. What are getting for the $250.00? If it's for just the hull, you're paying too much.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:25 PM
snakeyez

the deal comes with a hull, driveshaft?, prop, and rear stearing equipment. its unfinised and needs a motor put in it. i wanna stuff a weed wacker engine in it. is it possible to put one in it? is this commen? no servos, no remote. well maybe, hes a wheeler dealer. i wanna find some picks of a finished one. i want something that will get up and go, i was thinking maybe a nitro would be better. i like the idea and reliability of a 2 stroke though.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:40 AM
Ron Olson

Yes, a Gas engine wil fit, they use the same 5" wide engine rails. You will need 1/4" drive to run the gas motor though it if it already doesn't have it.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:59 AM
snakeyez

is this a good idea? generally how fast should this thing run? would it be faster with a nitro since its lighter? im nott too sure on the ease of installing it either..
Old 04-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Ron Olson

Ease is relative according to the amount of experience that you have. How fast shoud it run? That too is relative depending on how hot of a motor, either Gas or Nitro that you put into it. 50+ MPH is not unheard of for either powerplant.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:42 PM
snakeyez

do you think it will run 50 with a homelite engine? can i slap and eager beaver or mchollough in it? another thing, how do you physically attatch the engine to the boat. i seen no motor mounts, the boat is unfinished. i am pretty new to boats; i am a nitro m/t guy. thanks..
Old 04-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Ron Olson

Stock Homies, Mac's or Eager Beavers will not give you much speed. In stock form, 17-30 MPH. A modded Homie will give you more. Right now the hot Gas motor is a Zenoah. You can get a good one for under $300.00, cheaper than most good .60's.
You can buy motor mounts for just about any Weedwacker motor made. Marine Specialties has the biggest selection for the odd motors, Robin's, Mac's, etc.
What is your end use for this boat? Messing around, racing or a little of both?
You are the one to decide what powerplant that you want to put in it. People are here to help you out either way.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:37 AM
snakeyez

just for playing around and showing off mostly is what it would be used for. i just use my m/t for bashing. i want somthing descent to most other "good" boats though,i know the boat itself is kinda old. im really excited about putting it together. ill probably go with a zenanhoa if i can affard the $$$$$$ when the time comes. but other wise ill stick with a wacker. do u know the best place to buy used stuff besides ebay?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Ron Olson

There is one site called Jim's R/C Boat Dock that has a For Sale section, that might be worth a shot.