Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

cowl for dumas atlas van lines

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

cowl for dumas atlas van lines

Old 04-22-2004, 09:19 PM
kvnnina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cowl for dumas atlas van lines

I just bought a used atlas van line boat. The bad thing is it did not come with a cowl. I was wondering if any one could help me find where i could either buy one or plans how to make one. Or if any one has other ideas of how I could solve my problem. Thank you very much.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:35 AM
playtime56
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: cowl for dumas atlas van lines

kvnnina,
Have you contacted Dumas yet? Also, I think that boat comes in various sizes. I have a 36" size I recently got and I think there is also 1/8 scale 43" model. I do not have an extra, but perhaps I can help with measurements or something. Let me know if Dumas can't help and I'll do what I can for you.
Gordy
Old 04-23-2004, 10:12 AM
kvnnina

I looked on there web page. they only sell three cowls. none of which are atlas van lines. I also have the 36in. i have the instruction with it but it doesn't have the measurements. So if you know them you would be my hero. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:43 PM
playtime56

kvnnina
Got my kit out and looked things over a little better. My boat has a built up wooden cowl and instructions are included in the plans. Perhaps newer kits have an ABS cowl or glass cowl. Check your plans and we'll go from there. Hope this helps.
Gordy
Old 04-23-2004, 09:40 PM
kvnnina

I believe my boat was purchased around 1988. It is an older model totally all wood. I do have the plans. They give me a really good idea of how to make the cowl. But i need to know the measurements. I was planing on guessing them but who knows how that would turn out. I am new to this web site i don't know if your able to do this or not. If your plans have the exact measurements maybe you can take a picture of them. And maybe that will work. Once again thank you for your time and effort.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:24 AM
playtime56

kvnnina,
Let's be sure we're on the same page, so to speak. I have Dumas kit #1314. The plans are Form#62-221, P/N 62-221. Fig. 1 shows cowl info. Fig. 2 shows more cowl detail, as do Figs. 3 and 4. The parts locator shows the pre-cut parts needed. Steps #10 thru 13 describe what you need to use and do with it. Some of these older kits can be somewhat intimidating at first. I always lay them out on the floor and go over the parts list. The parts are almost always all there, but the benefit is that you start to get familiar with your project. I really don't know how other guys start a kit but I do know what works for me. I used to build the old Sterling "die crunched" c/l plane kits. Some parts were so mashed I would have to just make a new one, at least these have good die cutting. Building methods have gotten a lot better too. I hope that,somehow, I have helped you.
Gordy
Old 04-24-2004, 01:10 PM
kvnnina

The boat i bought was used. The hull was already built. I do have the pieces for the fin. But I dont have anything for the cowl. my boat is the same one as yours. it is the #1314 and it sounds like we have the exactly same plans. It looks like I will have to guess the measurements. If your able to find cowl any where let me know if you could. And I will buy it. thank you very much for your time.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:14 AM
playtime56

kvnnina,
I have removed the 5 die cut parts for the cowl from the sheet and copied them.I think that with these, and a small sample of wood, you could get the required material from your LHS. Sadly, I do not have the computer skills to send these full size and that would not give you a wood sample anyway. If this will help and you so wish send me your snail mail addy and I will get these out to you Monday. The other cowl parts are described in the directions as things you fabricate. Contact me ,if you wish, at >[email protected]< or 1-304-455-4741. Best to ya
Gordy