Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Painting Questions

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Painting Questions

Old 05-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Shoey949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Questions

I have two hulls that need painting, one is a Woood, and the other is ABS Plastic. I'm looking for a cheap spray paint. What should I use? And how should I go about painting them(like # of coats for each, primer, clear coat,etc)?

Thanks a Mil
Old 05-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Painting Questions

Go to Rider's or Hobby World and get some LusterKote paint. They have a primer but I don't like it so I use their white paint, it seems to work better, easier to sand also. My personal preference is Formula-U if either of them carry that, it has a better gloss to it and takes higher Nitro than LusterKote. It does run easier so it has to be laid on lightly. Clear coats aren't needed unless you're going over decals that can't take the nitro. Ignore the old woman at HW, I bought some paint there once when I came up there to Harbor Freight, she's getting senile.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Shoey949

How about some 21st century coverite stuff for the ABS? Can I use just a normal hardware store type of paint on the wood?
Old 05-30-2004, 10:30 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've tried almost every brand made for Nitro boats and the Coverite Black Baron is about the absolute worst! Hangar 9 and Perfect paints are close to being my last choices also. The problem with these is that they don't like to dry, some taking days just to get tacky enough to handle the boats without leaving fingerprints all over them.
It doesn't matter what surface you are painting whether it is wood, plastic or metal, the paint has to be hot fuel-proof. I've tried auto touch-up paint and about everything in between. I've spent a lot of money on bad paint in my time, there is a shelf in my basement full of the stuff. You will be better off in the long run to do it right the first time.
When you get around to painting them, try to do it outside where the boats can get some sunlight and warmth. I know that it's been difficult at best these last few weeks in our area, it's raining again right now as I'm typing this.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Red Rocket

I use, "boyds" enamel from testors on all of my ABS hulls. It comes out as a shiney color, when applied. Roughly 3 good coats will do it.

Also, it you want to shine and protect the coat, spray it with some acrylic "clearcoat" to smooth it out, protect the color and shine.[8D]
Old 06-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Shoey949

couldn't I just use a hardware -store-type paint and cover it with thinned-epoxy to fuelproof it?