Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Large boat propulsion

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Large boat propulsion

Old 05-30-2004, 09:26 AM
ocso455

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large boat propulsion

Needing feedback on the following to [email protected].
I am building a 10 foot long 3 foot wide 20 inch tall boat. Wanting to use electric propulsion and in salt water. I have had suggestions for gas and weed eater motors for power, but I want to stay electric and that is the problem. I plan on using a 12 volt motorcycle battery for the power source. Yesterday while in a Ace Hardware buying shafts and tubes, I stopped in the boating section and being a boater myself, noticed that they had both 12 volt aerators and bilge pumps which are electric and they pump anywhere from 450 gallons an hour to over 800 gallons an hour. Would this be sufficeint to make my project into a jet drive and over come problems of running in slat water?? If anyone has had experience here would ou please respond to my e-mail address with advice.

Thanks
Tom S
Old 06-09-2004, 04:19 AM
ernest2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Large boat propulsion

hey tom!
know what, i've seen a site in the web, though i can't remember the web page. a couple experimenting with their small dinhgy, they put an ordinary pump engine into the boat, have an inlet flexible hose in the bow of the boat, and the outlet hose in the back of the boat.. it actually propel them.. about 5mph they said. so maybe if youre adventurous, you can try it, though it might not go fast.
ernest