Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do I cool my engine?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

How do I cool my engine?

Old 06-06-2004, 05:46 PM
enyaengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I cool my engine?

I'm getting an SC12 engine for my boat which has a watercooled head on it, but how do I get the water to flow around the head? How is this normally achieved?
Thanks,
Old 06-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: How do I cool my engine?

There are several ways to do this. The easiest way is to use a rudder with a built-in water pick-up. Other ways are to mount an 1/8" brass tube to the transom or behind the prop. Here is an example of a rudder with a built-in pick-up. Note the hole near the bottom and the water nipple on the top.
http://www.rossisales.com/minirudder.jpg
Run the water line to the right side of the engine and the water exit line to the left side. Why? OK, I knew that you would ask. When we normally run our boats we go clockwise with them. As the boat passes you, you can see the water exiting the boat showing you that it is working. You don't need a large stream but you do need to see some flow.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:52 PM
cmho2

lmao! Just this afternoon at the pond I was cursing myself for putting the water outlet on the RIGHT side of my boat.
No course set up or anything, but running clockwise just feels more normal.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:47 AM
enyaengine

Thanks for the info.
Well, I've already mounted the rudder and it doesn't have a water feed. I'll just have to mount a small section of metal tubing just behind the prop then. I shall just have an overboard exit on the cooling head, straight out of the right hand side of the boat.
BTW, you say the water doesn't have to be much of a flow, can a trickle be alright? Presumeably it's alright so long as there is a constant flow to cool the engine?