Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Miss Budweiser Hydroplane, 1/12 scale?????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Miss Budweiser Hydroplane, 1/12 scale?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 11:46 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Budweiser Hydroplane, 1/12 scale?????

Has anybody had or have one of these RTR's with the .15 motor in it, I have a chance to buy one at a decent price and was wondering how it runs and handles etc.,,, our pond is about 800ftx35ft wide, is this size pond big enough, I heard this boat will turn on a dime... thanks..
Old 06-19-2004, 02:38 PM
pompebled

Default RE: Miss Budweiser Hydroplane, 1/12 scale?????

Try the search function on this boat, you'll notice that not all opinions on this boat are favourable ones.....

Regards, Jan.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Fred Drew

Hey Jan,
A decent price? A used one as the first is tough. You don't know what is wrong if anything. Ran wrong out of the box is the worst action that can be taken. Not running nitro fuel with at least 20% oil wears them faster, and over reving will ruin the engine so let the buyer beware. We race every week and I am looking to buy extra boats for parts as we run into each other regularly. Last Sat. I was run over and it ripped off the tail, broke left side completely off and ripped all mounting screws, 8. I have been run over before and it cut a big hole in the side, and I have ran full speed into a wall, splitting the thing wide open. Epoxy and bang I am back. These boats take quite a bit of abuse.

Addressing the size of your pond. Yes they turn on a dime but 35' is not enough when 180 is the minimum turn! If you were racing someone else the narrow course would probably create head long crashes unless there is a divider the length of the pond.(That is only 17' on each side.) My pond is 200X160 (12' deep with 8 - 10 lb rainbows.) so we can go around but even then it is hard to miss each other. It is like we are magnetized and attracted to each other by a superior force, missing buoys is harder than you might think, at least for me. Good drivers may avoid this dilemma but it is stamped on my forehead.

If you figure about 40' per second, you have about 20 seconds of go time till you must go the other way, our back stretch is 4.8 secs. These boats are a pain and with tolerances that close I think tearing off rudders and turning fins along shore as debris, transmitter, receiver, anxiety, water and etc. can go wrong. Especially considering that judging distances 800' away is hard. One idea to minimize would be to time going around say three times or whatever one at a time and lowest time wins, or just plain drag racing.

If just going up and down, back and forth is what you want this is not the right boat, other boats would be easier to increase engine size and tweak, etc. "The Bud" is troublesome to keep going, flip at full speed with small chop, but are just too cool when they are screaming. If the back and forth is great fun for you then 800' is handy, although seeing the other end to turn around would be tough, and make sure the buoys are soft, so not if, but when you hit one you don't hurt the boat. If the very cool look of the Miss Bud is your desire then let me know I will give you a half dozen easy things to do to minimize the headache factor. If not let me know about used boat.

Racing to a wreck.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:59 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Hi,

Just an observation. I have owned a few of these boats and have actually written a review for them. They are decent RTR boats but as they are RTR they are not built to the quality you or I might build our own. I found that they gather water quite quickly and the engines bog out and die. To cure this simple little problem (assuming you are going to buy one) stuff a shop towel in the back by the "turbine" It will stop 90% of the water from coming in the back of the boat. When the towel becomes water logged remove it and replace it with another. Also, 35' seems to be a very narrow turn. Running at top-speed the boat will use quite a bit of that on calm water, add in a few laps when the water gets quite choppy and it could be interesting. Don't get me wrong, this is a good little boat and a pretty good buy even for retail price but don't expect to buy it and not do some tinkering. As with any nitro boat that is just not going to happen.

Good luck to you!

Pete Olson

There are only two types of ships: submarines and targets
Old 07-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh No! Another Olson in here!
No relation though.