Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

I've got a problem here . . .

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

I've got a problem here . . .

Old 06-22-2004, 08:10 AM
enyaengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got a problem here . . .

. . . the boat started shipping water on it's maiden voyage yesterday. The keel seems to have split, although not actually falling apart due to the rest of the boat holding it together, this could be a problem.
Here's two pics of the problem, one from inside, one from outside the hull:

How should I go about repairing this? Perhaps fiberglass inside and out (take all the old paint off first), then sand it down and repaint it? Or should I just push some sort of resin-based glue into the cracks, e.g., araldite?
many thanks,
Old 06-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Aaronie

Default RE: I've got a problem here . . .

I would patch it up with some West Systems Epoxy resin. But I think you got it covered.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:43 AM
enyaengine

Okay. Thanks. I'd hate to have to rip it apart and start again - It's taken me 2 months to build it from scratch and it really ran well on it's first run (although the transmitter ate the batteries in a few hours). I'll look around for some Epoxy resin then and get it sorted.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Tachikaze

I like the epoxy resin idea. This looks very much like what happens to our combat ships after years of damage and sinking ( more common on the allied ships).
Sand down the paint so that it does not interfer with your resin and so you can get a good look at the defect. Mix up just a little batch of the resin so you do not waste any or goop too much on. Take your time and place the defect in a dependent position so when you place the resin on it can sink into the cracks. Make sure it is cured, flip over and repeat from the other side.
If that is a crack in the keel that I see from the inside picture, I would consider placeing a C-clamp on that after you have applied you resin and have allowed it to sink in.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:53 AM
pompebled

To avoid similar problems in future, use a thin layer of glass cloth in combination with the epoxy resin.

Only the cracked keel can be covered, but for looks and easy working, you'd better cover the entire bottom with it.
I know, all the paint from the bottom needs to come off, but you'll have the problem solved for many years to come.

Regards, Jan.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:27 AM
enyaengine

I had already decided to use fibreglass anyway, there's a long strip down the outside and I'm going to put some inside too. The rest of the hull is sound so I'm not worrying about covering that - the boat is a little bit on the heavy side already.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:16 AM
LtDoc

enya',
Sounds like you've already decided how to do it so this is a bit late. You could also 'dribble' some thin CA in the split (from the inside), sprinkle some baking soda on the wet CA. The rest of the boat may fall apart but the 'split' would never open up again.
- 'Doc
Old 06-23-2004, 08:23 AM
hoghappy

OK...I use and love thin CA but never heard of put baking soda on it....what exactly does that do....cure it faster?

Oh I love how it makes balsa smoke!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:48 AM
w00tw00t

bakig soda is used as a filler, with a "resin" i mix it with epoxy, dries rock solid, harder than regular epoxy
Old 06-23-2004, 10:07 AM
pompebled

It also gets hot when curing, so water will evapourate and speed up the curing even more.

I've used fine sand as a substitute for baking soda, works well too.

Regards, Jan.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:13 PM
enyaengine

The fibreglass has set rock hard now - solid as a rock. BTW, prior to putting the actual fibreglass on I throughly filled the splits with the resin to ensure that they are well sealed up. The strip of fibreglass down the keel on the outside has nicely sealed the hull up now anyway. I've also put fibreglass along the inside all the way to the back now to prevent the same thing happening elsewhere. Now just have to wait for the paint to dry, the transmitter batteries to charge and then I'm away with a test run. I'm also going to make the engine a lot richer ( richened it up loads last time as well!) so hopefully it'll run smoothly at WOT.
I've also worked out what was happening with the keel. The keel is made from a long square cross-section of plywood. The glue between the sheets of wood in this had obviously deteriorated over time (the hull is 17 years old - never even used until I got my hands on it!), creating a weakness that wasn't apparant until the boat was in the water.
BTW, I reckon that at 2/3 throttle it was doing around 12-15 knots (guesstimate) on calm water! Not bad for a home made effort I reckon. With WOT singing merrily, I should get up to about 18 knots, perhaps higher when the engine is fully run in and tuned.