Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Building a boat from scratch

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Building a boat from scratch

Old 07-18-2004, 06:32 PM
volcom8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a boat from scratch

I am building a boat from scratch with a Mcculloch 30cc chainsaw engine and I would need to know which type of boat shoud I buy, a Deep-Vee or a Catamaran, i want to get the more speed possible and i want the boat to be very stable. i need to know the lenght and the width of the boat because I don't really know much about RC boats

any websites where i can buy online???

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:43 AM
maninthestreet

Default RE: Building a boat from scratch

If you are new to rc/model boats, then building a boat from scratch is not the way to go, and certainly not with a 30CC chainsaw engine! - better to start with a kit. Find out where/when your local rc boat club meets, and go along to one of their meetings. Talk to the people present, have a look at the boats they are sailing. After a few visits, you'll have a better idea of what is available in the rc boat model world, and how to progress in the hobby.

Best of luck!

MITS
Old 07-19-2004, 04:21 AM
enyaengine

While I would agree with not using a 30cc gas engine as a first power source in a boat, I reckon that building from scratch really teaches you so much about a boat. Look at my one I've just finished building - it was my first and has taken me a few months but I have enjoyed it so much and now I have, no doubt, a much better understanding of the principles of model boats than I would have if I had bought a kit.
Whatever you do, though, don't buy a ready-to-run model. These simply require no understanding at all and if and when something goes wrong, you won't have a clue how to fix it simply because you won't have the intimate knowledge of the boat that one aquires when you build the boat by yourself.
Anyhow, that's my tuppence worth.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:59 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

What they said.

Unless you've got a lot of time & extra money laying around and want the challenge then by all means, please do it. You can buy a new 48" V'hull for these gas engines for $150. Go from there and build your running gear & radio box.

We hear it all the time and to buy a new or used hull is much more cost effective. Plus my time is worth something.

Any questions, give us a holler.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:35 AM
volcom8

yeah i could buy a kit but I dont have the money for this, and yeah i am new to rc boating but i think i know enough about boats to build one from scratch. and i do have a lot of time because i'm in summer vacation! no more school!!! any website where i can buy online? boat hulls?
Old 07-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Doubledog

Ebay.com
Old 07-20-2004, 12:53 PM
pompebled

Default Plan.

If you're interested, I could mail you the frames and the distances between them of a deep vee.
You'll probably need to enlarge the boat by 10-15%, to house a 30 cc engine.

Pic in my gallery.

Regards, Jan.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:16 PM
volcom8

Default RE: Plan.

how much do you sell them??? or did you mean the plans to build a frame??
Old 07-21-2004, 06:11 AM
pompebled

No, I don't sell hulls/boats, I have the frames on my harddisk and could mail them to you so you can build your own hull. or use them as a template, cutting a hull out of foam, to be covered with epoxy-resin and glass cloth.

In my opinion, the wood-on-frame method would be the cheapest way to build a hull, if you have the time.....

I could also mail you the complete (simple) plan of the M.A.S. torpedoboat (the first two hull-pics in my gallery), you could scale it up and build a very fast stepped monohull, leaving the torpedoes and stuff away and design the deck to your own liking.

Regards, Jan.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Doubledog

Lets try that again......... ebay.com
Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

If you are trying to type E b a y
I think it is filtered because RCuniverse runs its own auctions for RC hobbiests.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Doubledog

Old 07-21-2004, 04:19 PM
volcom8

ok... then....mail me the frame plans.... and if i like it i'll build it

i went on e-bay and i found a boat hull
specs:
Length=742mm(29.2 inch)
Width=232mm(9.1 inch)
Height=140mm(5.5 inch)
Weight=820g(1lb and 12.5oz)

the guy told me that my motor couldn't fit his boat

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
if the link doesn't work then go on e-bay and the item number is 5910280670
Old 07-21-2004, 05:58 PM
RC-Archer

http://www.whobbies.com has everything you need to build your own gas boat from scratch.

BTW if you're going to buy a hull from an auction site for your gas motor, get at least 38" hull. The longer your hull, the faster you will go.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:18 AM
FARTROD

I ve built a 49" deep v from scratch using my own plans, 12 degree deadrise 14" beam, round bilge bow (easier to control in rough water and wind hehe ), 4 ml ply frames, cedar stringers, double diagonal planked cedar bottom, ply chines, then venered with a hard mahogany. decked with cedar planking to follow hull shape, mahogany superstructurefor cabin etc. Finished with clear acrylic auto paint. Engine = A water cooled 32cc Ryobi with a modified carb manifold that rotates the carb 45 degrees to allow easy adjustment of the mixture screws. Flat tuned pipe in copper and stainless , EXTRA FLYWHEEL TO SMOOTH OUT ENGINE AND NICE SLOW TICKOVER - WEIGHT OF FLYWHEEL = 8OZ !! Rudders, prop 3 bade 3 1/2" x6 1/2' pitch,strut fitted with PTFE bushes and flex shaft from the original weed wacker cut down and fitted with threaded ferruls. I am however a old style cabinet maker who has fitted out a few full size wooden hulls !!! All fittings inc props I make myself, I am an old tightwad heheheheheheh.SPEED = 68 kph on gps so u can have fun with these utility engines lol . The engine was 13 yrs old before I moded it to go in this hull - it had earned a rest from cutting grass - and i wanted some fun hehehe. One of the members of the Perth ( Western Australia) Mode lPower Boat Club (Im the treasurer) took some digital photo's of our boats so will try to d/load some to this forum when i can. So go for it, it can only sink lol, better than watching it crash from a high alt heheheh. Before I forget, all up weight = 23 LBS so it takes a bit of space to accellerate and slow down. Have fun -- regards - the oldfart.
ORIGINAL: volcom8

I am building a boat from scratch with a Mcculloch 30cc chainsaw engine and I would need to know which type of boat shoud I buy, a Deep-Vee or a Catamaran, i want to get the more speed possible and i want the boat to be very stable. i need to know the lenght and the width of the boat because I don't really know much about RC boats

any websites where i can buy online???

Thanks in advance!