Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Motor Question

Old 07-20-2004, 09:13 AM
chopper 54
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Question

I bought myself a ProBoat Shockwave (Elecrtic version). I was woundering what kind of motor can I put in there to make it faster? It is a 40A ESC in it. Also I have a 19 turn Mod motor in my car can I take that motor and the ESC from the car and put it in the boat?
Old 07-20-2004, 11:13 AM
pompebled

Default RE: Motor Question

Hi Chopper,

The easies way to make the boat faster, is adding a cell; running on 7 instead of 6 cells.
The 550 motor the Shockwave comes with can handle 7 cells, maybe eight, if the motor is watercooled.

What cells are you running now?

The boat seems big enough to me to handle a 700 series motor and 12-14 cells.
This is a major rebuilt however, involving a new propshaft, esc, prop, and of course a 700-motor.

Another option is to upgrade to a 600 motor (same size, so will fit the existing motormount), Graupners 600 race for instance, running on 7-8 cells.

Car motors don't work very well if the boat has a subsurface drive, with a surface piercing drive it's worth a try.
Start with a smaller prop than the stock one and work your way up, keep an eye on motor and battery temperature.

Regards, Jan.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
chopper 54
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Motor Question

Thanks for the information! Right know the boat is running 6 cells. I think I might try adding another cell and then maybe upgrading to a 600 motor. Thanks again for the info!