Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

repairing a boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

repairing a boat

Old 07-26-2004, 10:11 PM
wierd_dragon
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repairing a boat

so, i have a catamaran tunnel hull boat, and while running it for the first time, i didn't realize that there would be so much vibration as to knock out my reciever batteries while in the middle of the water so it went running on it's own because i could not control it because the batteries have been knocked out. so in any case, it crashed into a wall nd one point on the catamaran broke open. is there anything that u guys suggest in the repair procedures? THis isn't abs, or fiberglass, it's more like hard plastic. thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 08:03 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: repairing a boat

Can you post a shot of the damage? This might help.
To keep from having the batteries from popping out again, I'd suggest putting a rubber band or electrical tape around the pack to hold them in place.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:53 AM
LtDoc

Wierd',
Repairing a boat is sort of like repairing a car after a wreck. The basic idea is to 'plug' the hole, and make it look like there was no damage to start with. The first part is easy to do, making it look like there was no damage to start with is the hard part (lol). If the damage is in a spot where there are no compound curves (mostly flat), gluing in a patch and filling in the low spots and sanding smooth is what you do. If the damage envolves compound curves, it's not so easy, since you have to duplicate the 'curves' (still 'do-able' though, just more work). What you use and how, is sort of a "what are you 'handiest' at using" kinda thing. Always keeping in mind that you don't want a 10 pound patch on a 5 pound boat!
As for retaining the batteries in their holder, as suggested, tape or rubber bands, or find a little bitty guy to ride the boat and hold them in... glue as the last resort!
- 'Doc
Old 07-27-2004, 10:05 AM
pompebled

Having receiver batteries in a holder is not a good idea, as you may have noticed.
Much more reliable is to solder a rechargeable battery-pack with a cable (and plug) to the receiver, velcro the batterypack in the boat.
Make it a five-cell pack for extra power.

Regards, Jan.