Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this a good Hydro Kit?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Is this a good Hydro Kit?

Old 07-28-2004, 05:03 PM
thumper5102
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good Hydro Kit?

I'm Looking into getting a Hydro Kit. Is this Kit a good one? Or should I opt for another. The reason I'm looking at this kit is that I have been wanting a Miss Circus Circus Hydro for the past 10 years. I just never put more than a thought into it. I'm looking at it for fun. I don't plan on racing it, but that could change.

Anyone own one of these hydros? how do they compare to say.....a Deep V boat.

Also, What type of Gasoline and Nitro engines are best and will fit in this kit?

I have seen people talk about making one from scratch with plans bought from a guy named Newton.

Any info that could help me in my decision is appreciated. I DO want a hydro. It doesn't NEED to be the Dumas kit, but I want one that looks like the Dumas Miss Circus Circus.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2004, 07:06 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Is this a good Hydro Kit?

Are you a new boater or do you have any previous building experience? The Dumas Hydro's aren't easy to build, poor wood, lousy die-cutting and hard to read plans odn't help out this kit.
These boats are designed for .61-.67 engines that are Nitro powered. They aren't easy to set up.
Roger Newton does have a link to his site through www.lesliefield.com .
I don't know anything about you and I may be wrong, but just by reading your question above I don't know if you are quite ready to take on a project like this yet. I've been doing this hobby for a lot of years and have recently gotten into outrigger hydros.
What part of Illinois are you in? I know some racers in the Northern area, especially around the Windy City area. Visit some races to see what you're up against if you plan on racing or just to get some ideas. Check out www.impba4.com .
Old 08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
thumper5102

I'm New to boats. I've always wanted the Miss circus circus model. I'm pretty good at building models. I have never build or driven a Hydro though. I live near St. Louis, Mo. I was also looking at the 1/8 Miss bud by pro boat. I know theirs are fiberglass. I would like to only buy the hull right now and get the engine and the other accessories later. The only boats I've driven are real ones (Cobalt 200) and electric 1/10 scale Deep Vees.

Maybe I'm getting myself in to deep. So would you reccomend plans from Mr. Newton for the Circus Circus vs the Dumas Circus Circus Kit?

Thank you for your reply

Andrew

P.S. I see you are from Kalamazoo. My grandparents live in Three Rivers, a half hour away from you.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Ron Olson

An 1/8 scale may be over your head right now. They do take a lot of work to get set up properly.
From what I've of Roger's plans, they are very well done.
The ProBoat 1/8 Miss Bud? I really don't know a lot about them right now. One of the guys at a LHS has one and I want to get out with him to see how it runs.

I know some people from your neck of the woods also. One friend that I would practice with moved down there last year to Chesterfield, on the SW side of St. Louis and I IM with another person from there also, Ken Hildreth.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:31 PM
thumper5102

what would be a good boat to hull to start with. I do want to run a Zenhoa 26cc gasoline engine though. Price of nitro is high to me. I rather pay more for the engine and les for the fuel. Would you reommend that I purchase some plans from Mr. newton to I can get started on the project of building a hydro hull. In the mean time Ill get a Deep V in order to learn about gas boats?

Where do people in St. Louis Run their boats?

Andrew
Old 08-03-2004, 04:34 AM
Ron Olson

There is a club or two in the area. Go to www.impba4.com to find the clubs around there.