Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

air filters

Old 08-08-2004, 02:14 AM
wierd_dragon
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filters

hi guys,

i have a K&B outboard engine and was wondering if you need an airfilter on the carb or not because i have one on currently but all it does is soak up in water and fill my engine with water and choke it. Any suggestions? Thanks

Tim
Old 08-08-2004, 03:34 AM
pompebled

Default RE: air filters

Hi Tim,

In general, running a nitro engine in a car needs an airfilter to keep the dust out, on water there's very litttle of that about, so you can do without.

Regards, Jan.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:39 PM
wierd_dragon

but if i don't add on an air filter, then won't the carb fill up with water fast? and therefore choking the engine and stopping it in the middle of the water

Tim
Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

If your carb is sucking water you have a problem somewhere. I haven't ever seen a RC boat with an air filter yet. If your carb is sucking water an air filter isn't going to help that.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A wet air filter won't let air in either. If they needed an air filter, wouldn't you think that K&B and everone else would have them? The motors can take in a little spray, more will shut off the motor. If you are in a position that you would need a filter, you're in trouble anyway. That would be upside down or in someones roostertail. Your carb sits pretty high compared to inboard boats that get more water in them from leaks, spray, etc. that stays inside the boat and gets tossed around by the flywheel.