Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

RC boaters are a white elephant?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC boaters are a white elephant?

Old 09-03-2004, 03:06 PM
hoggwild89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC boaters are a white elephant?

What is it about boaters? Yeah, i'm a, rc boater too.

I just read a post that went something like "just mention 'boat' at the local hobby shop and get a deer in the headlights look".

Me too. We live right on the Hudson river and most hobby shops I go into...hmmm... ALL hobby shops do the same damn thing.

I cant belive we are a rare breed, well maybe here we are, I have only seen one other guy with a boat. The small miss bud.
and he just got it.

The one shop in Poughkeepsie is nice with lots of goodies but very non-boater, the other shop I like is here in Kingston, she's a wonderfull person and has helped me out a great deal with planes, but "whats a boat", LOL.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:31 PM
pompebled

Default RE: RC boaters are a white elephant?

Compared with the amount of car- and flyboys and girls, we boaters are a rare breed.

As I live in a small country, the distances are managable, but I still have to drive an hour and a half to the nearest race.
Most race venues in Germany and Belgium are within reach, but you keep meeting the same group of people, so it's a small world.

You would not think so if you went to a boaters meeting in Heilbronn (Germany) and other places in Europe.

Another thing:
If I ask my LHS dealer (who sells boats too) how many he has sold over the years, there should be a boat in every third household in our town... and the only ones I see regulary are my son and I, and a friend's son, who's boat I build!

Where have all these boats gone??

Regards, Jan.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:39 PM
MikDee

Hey hogwild, the biggest boat dealer is right around the corner from you, www.finedesignrc.com come down to middletown NY we practice sat afternoon at 3pm in Davich park,
Old 09-04-2004, 05:18 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It seems to be the same all over. We have ponds galore, 3 within 1-1/2 miles from my house. Go to the LHS's and they have the usual suspects on the shelves collecting dust. One LHS used to keep their boat parts in a drawer instead of on the pegboard wall. I am slowly finding more boaters in the area that I didn't know existed. The LHS's know me and I get occasional calls from people that were referred to me by them that need help with their new boats or others that are looking for someone to run with. The lack of high quality boats aren't around here is non-existant due to the better ones that you have to order direct from a manufacturer or a major boat dealer. Sailboats are a rarity here and scale was popular with a club that held a large regatta for them up until 2 years ago. The R/C trucks and planes like just about every other city are what keeps the shops open with 4 tracks within 20 miles from me and an airfield 5 miles down the street.
When the latest LHS opened, I brought 4 of mine down to help give them some space filler. That day they had a TV crew in there shooting an ad for the shop. My boats were used for the commercial that I haven't seen as they were used on another cable TV provider just outside of my area.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:51 AM
paulo_64

I am getting the same here in the Detroit, Michigan area. With so much recreational boating in this state it is hard to believe that RC boating is so non-existant. I have gone to a few local area "full line" hobby shops and found no selection, dusty boxes and salespeople that follow you until you get to the boat section. I am looking for a RTR gas boat or kit and the few I have found were low end and looked like a waste of money.

If anyone knows a good shop in my area PLEASE let me know...I hear the plea!
Old 09-04-2004, 11:37 AM
LtDoc

I think I'm in the same boat as everyone else (pun intended), no one around here seems to be into model boating. One of the reasons is that people just aren't aware that there is such a thing. How many times have you gone to the local 'duck pond' and have people stop to watch you? Several even ask, "Where did you buy that?". When you tell them you built it, you can see the 'gleam' leave their eyes, right? [I don't know about you, but if ~I~ can build one, anyone can! But try convincing 'them' of that, and, they never see the 'goofs' you had to fix?]

The 'RTR' and 'ARR' models are probably as much a henderance and they are a benifit. Wonder how many of them end up in the back of the closet, or the trash, because they really aren't as 'simple' as they're made out to be (or that some of them are just 'junk' to start with)? NOT that all, or even most, 'RTR' or 'ARR' models are junk!

The 'key' is to publicize the hobby. Craft fairs, etc., take your boat(s) and show them off! Maybe build one during the event. You're not the 'best' builder around? So? Who'z gonna know that? Or, make your self available to help others (an 'Elmer', if you know what that means? LOL). It's a lot of work, though, so be prepared. Do I do that? No, but I'd like to...
- 'Doc
Old 09-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Henry 78

It's awful lonely here in Dothan, I know three people from the flying club I belong too that have a boat but I never see them being used [] so maybe I'll just spend my time building instead of running them........
Maybe I will name my next boat "white elephant".
Old 09-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Ron Olson

Yes, publicize as much as you can. We tried for the umpteenth time to get a club going again here in town and I'm not giving up! I usually set up a table at the area annual R/C planes clubs swap meet, bring along a TV and VCR to show racing some racing tapes that I made, give out fliers, bring some boats along, both for show and to sell and talk to people. We have an annual Fun Run that I set fliers out for also at the LHS's and have one boat for people to try if they want to.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:31 PM
ballgunner

Our LHS, since gone, somehow or other brought a Fairwind to town. Suddenly we had about 10 Fairwinds on the pond. My modeling buddy was also a sailor. We went to the pond and sailed our boats too. We knew most of the guys there from flying. I built a couple of Soling 1M's and some Snipes from VMP. He had an import from Hobby Lobby. We suddenly had an informal club and a regular day to sail. The power boats were all electric. We talked it up at the flying club and got a few more mariners. We still have our regular boating day but the lake is so full of weeds that we are almost restricted to airboats until winter comes and the slime goes away so we have a bull session on our boating day. Some of the regular questions from passersby was of course "How much does that cost ?" and, referring to the sailboats,
"Do you have a motor in it ?" We did get a small spread in the local paper because the pond is in a park where a lot of people walk for exercise. In the past four years we have grown by about four members.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:07 AM
hoggwild89

Hey, middletown might be worth a trip!
Esp because I am having a problem with my Picco 90. Cant keep the damn thing running!

John.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:40 AM
Jared1106

Ahhh yes, the "BOAT", lol. I actualy bought my first boat this past winter, February to be exact. And what a beauty she is, 54" Enforcer Man-O-War with a modified 23cc Zenoah, Gloss black, you almost cant see from one end to the other it is so big... Up until last year I had heard of them but never saw them run. I have a hobby shop in my area and this guy carries A LOT of these big boats. First of all like was mentioned earlier in these posts people just do not know this sport is there, and secondly to get into it with a NICE boat it is a very expencive sport/habbit!!!
When the ice left the lakes I started running, 3 to 4 time a week sometimes more, and every time I am out someone stops, cars stop by the road and just watch, some come up and ask about it and all watch like they are looking at a space ship, lol. The closest friend of mine with a boat is over an hour away, and our sceduals conflict so it is hard to get together and run.
So addressing the fact of people who have them and have tossed them aside and just put them in the closet, well it isnt the easiest thing to do alone run a BIG boat like this, and then there is the possibilty of it stalling out, and finding a way to go out and get it. I bought a 1 man rubber raft in case I needed to, but thankfuly it is still new in the box.
But yeah, mine has been thrown to the back burner, mostly because I enjoy running it but is much easier and fun when someone else is there, though it is a lot of fun having a audience stop by and stare at the space ship.... LOL That and I have spent more money one other R/C's this summer, and still spending. But now that I am thinking about it I might go out today, I miss the ole space ship.....
Old 09-06-2004, 11:09 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Maybe it has to do with local law. Around here you can't use an rc boat on a state lake. You can't even fly beside the lake. I know, I got a ticket for flying my funfly plane in the parking lot and not one soul was around [:@]
Old 09-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Ron Olson

It's nice in some ways that we are as small as what we are. When I go to races, it takes pretty much the whole day to run what shows up anyway. Most of the time, it's 100 entries or more. If it were any more than that, we'd have to go to a 2 day schedule. I'd like to have more people to run with, I do have some around here that I've met recently but there is nothing like making a day of it.
The guys North of me in Grand Rapids need a place to run as the city outlawed R/C boating inside of the city limits. I'm lucky here, the city Dept. of Parks and Recreation approached me asking what they could do to help us put on a race! They also have an area in a county park for the airplane crowd plus another park that is set up with a pond for the scale boaters. They tried a year ago in yet another one to use a wintertime ice rink for cement R/C car track.

I use a pole with a top-water lure when the boats are in easy casting distance.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:24 PM
gene375

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hoggwild89, I agree on the LHS's i try and do all my business there but the things i seem to need most usually come from the catalog or online.........i am from athens, where are you running, i do most of mine on the hudson at the state docks across from coxsackie, I have a WHH MANTA RAY, nice boat for playing around and it still moves along. later
Old 09-10-2004, 05:06 PM
addicted2rc9
My Feedback: (4)

Doc I have the same problem here, i live on one of the largest lakes in okla, Grand Lake. The only r/c boaters i know are myself and one guy i work with. We both started with Nitro Hammers and they are probably the best boat for the money and make a great entry level boat. I now have a 7.5 tunnel still in the setup stages but should be ready tues or wed for a run. I have to order everything online as none of the LHS carry boat parts other than the Traxxs Nitro Vee. Wish I could generate more interest up here, we have the perfect venue for r/c boats.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Nate-RCU

From years of RC Car racing, I think it is quite simple.................To start a boat club, you have to back bone it on RACING! The worst thing to new comers is the time when they finally buy something and come out for an afternoon of racing only to find that their car or boat doesn't measure up or that no one is willing to race their $1000.00 vehicle with them, a newbi. They more or less will stay the day and not return only to run ther cars or boats near home by themselves quickly loosing interest. Not all people but I've seen it many times!!!!!!

I would like to see a club form that even though they may be die hard gassers or slimers..............start out with electric racing. Standardize a boat that is cheap and small. Something that anyone could control.It must be an easy start and setup boat and typically that's electric. Nothing complicated. Have at least three members willing to go this route and set up a race day with lots of advertisements not just in the hobby shops...be creative. Have at least one extra boat as a spectator/ future boater demo model and let them run it with the other 3 boaters. Don't race any other type of boats or even flash up any other kind for at least a few race days. Have nitro and gas boats as display and just wait for the interest to happen. I guarantee that if you start out with affordble easy to run boats......the interest will spread.

Sounds simple.....but think about it. Everyone who would come out would love to race and once they do, they are hooked. Make sure these electric race boats are readily available and continue to have race days always showing the progression to gas and nitro. If possible , even have a few ready to sell, RTR (the electric ones that is). Yes it means putting a bit of capital up front but if you want a club.........start it!!

If people don't see that you are willing to go balls out and possibly have some collissons and FUN on these things the interest will not grow into a club. The hook is ...cheap boats to start that they can actually try. Don't scare them off with expensive boats at the start

The beauty of RC is that everyone loves it....................it is just that not everyone has realized it yet

Once you gain some interest in your new club, why wouldn't your local LHS start carrying some product.Creat the demand!!!

This is only my opinion!!

Regards,

NATE
Old 10-08-2004, 08:33 AM
wiz0852

Indianapolis In; Huh? Boat ? How high will that go? Just about all new Sub divisons have ponds and have yet to see a ? Oh, a boat......
Old 10-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Ron Olson

Wiz, you must not be looking in the right area. You've got a club there, the Indy MBC that has some of the baddest boaters around!
If I remember, their pond is SW of the Speedway, right near the junction of the 2 Highways, within earshot of the track.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:15 AM
wiz0852

Do you know how to lacate them????
Old 10-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Ron Olson

I found this link but it looks kind of old, http://www.indymbc.com/ .They might not be active or sanctioned for a race site by the IMPBA because I heard that they lost their race site over noise complaints.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:34 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have started my RC boating life by buying a nitro hammer after seeing a friends. (both of us already have seawind yachts) I have too noticed that getting into RC boats down under is not an easy thing. Me and my friend had to order out hammers from tower as no LHS stock boats. In fact no LHS even stock marnine engines. However every time we run the hammers or use the sailing boats we always get people coming up and talking to us, this shows me that people are interested but don't know what is available.
On the otherhand the hammer is sold as a easy to uses RTR boat that is perfect for the begginer. I don't think that anything is RTR. The hammer required the throttle to be set up properly as the throttle arm on the carby was loose and the servo was stalling baldly at full power. Also the idle was set to about 1/2 throttle. Also I consider myself to be an experienced person when it comes to nitro engines ( mostly planes and helis ) but I think a begginer would have trouble with the engine in this boat. Not saying that it is a bad engine, just saying that the vast majority of begginers will need some help with any nitro engine.
I have heard stories of people buying RTR boats and cars and having trouble with them due to inexperience. They then think that they are too hard and stop using them. I think the best way to get around this is everytime a boat is sold to a newbe that they are at least refered to the local boat users.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:17 PM
crrcboatz
My Feedback: (34)

Hey Addicted2rc9,

I live in Oologah within 2 miles of Oologah lake we are not that far from one another here in Oklahoma. What do you run in the way of boats??

regards Curt
[email protected]
Old 10-10-2004, 05:22 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I have started boats with a ep hammer, but can't find anywhere to use it. Anyone familiar with boating races in Elyria or Oberlin Ohio? It can be seen from route 10.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Ron Olson

In a way, yes. The North Coast Pond Hoppers is the club that you're talking about, www.thencph.ws and are a mostly Gas boating group. I know a few of them, a crazy but great bunch of people.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:35 PM
addicted2rc9
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry haven't been on for a few days. I have a nitro hammer and a Hot Shot 7.5 Tunnel. Haven't run the tunnel yet, just got the steering servo today. What have you got, maybe we can get together and run.