Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do u know if the stuffing tube is loose?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

How do u know if the stuffing tube is loose?

Old 09-15-2004, 10:47 AM
mocars2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do u know if the stuffing tube is loose?

I've got a GP Stinger that ran into some rocks and bent the shaft and broke off the rudder.
After getting those replaced, I now seem to have a good vibration in the box where the servo and receiver are. I think it';s the stuffing tube but it's not loose from what I can tell. If I put my hand on the box with slight force, the noice quiets down.. If I take the tube in my fingers and pull and push (with slight force) from side to side, the box seems to move a bit like twist a hair, but it doesn't seem loose and I can pick up the boat holding the box with out it falling. How will I know and if I have to take the box off - how do I do that without ruining the boat?
Old 09-16-2004, 03:30 AM
mocars2

Default RE: How do u know if the stuffing tube is loose?

Well looking at it again with a friend for another option, we noticed the tube was larger than the 1/8" shaft and there was a ton of play. We were able to put a 5/32" brass rod in the stuffing tube and it still turned pretty freely. Does stuffing tube get larger especially if there is a slightly bent shaft running in it?

How do you take the stuffing tube out? The radio box is above it and glued and the GP stinger seems very thin that if I try to twist the tube to break it free, I'm worried it willtake part of the hull with it. Could it?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:30 PM
LtDoc

Mocars2,
Stuffing boxes can get worn and the drive shaft get loose. More than likely the problem is with the bearings (if any). The 'normal' cure is to replace the bearings. Going to a larger drive shaft is also an option, sort of, cuz' you'll have to find the right size drive shaft.
The vibration may be because of misalignment of the drive shaft and motor. There may have been more damage than you thought from the wreck.
How do you know if the stuffing box is loose? Leaks? Any vibration? <--- Hmm... Any way to brace the stuffing box without causing more problems? Does the servo/radio box hold/brace the motor or stuffing box? Do you ever wish you had a 1" tall mechanic to crawl inside the @&#$% thing to fix it?
Good luck
- 'Doc

PS - I don't have a boat like your's so I don't ~know~ if any of the above is your problem. Take it for what it's worth...
Old 09-16-2004, 02:05 PM
mocars2

LtDoc - thanks for your ideas. There are no bearings in the tube - just a plain brass tube. After discovering the play and the bigger or worn tube - we think the tube isn't loose at all or causing the vibration as much as the sloppy play in the tube from the shaft being not a good fit and banging around and the body flexing to make the shaft hit the inside of the tube instead of riding in the tube - if you know what I mean. With the stock 1/8" shaft in there you can see space all around the shaft while it's in the tube. I bet we could put 1 - 3 pieces of paper around the shaft and there would still be some open space - that's how much room is there - or what ever the actual distance is from a 1/8 to a 5/32 Diameter shaft - that's how much space there is which seems like a ton to me now that I see it.

So the tube is glued down well - how do I free it without screwing up the bottom of the boat?
Old 09-16-2004, 03:50 PM
pompebled

Default REfit

Heat the tube with a soldering iron and pull it from the boat, as soon as the glue softens.
Replace the propshaft simile with a real one that has bearing and lubricate every once and a while.
Make sure the motor and propshaft are allingned before glueing it into place.

Regards, Jan.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:01 AM
LtDoc

Mocar2,
The 'how' of unglueing anything depends on what glue is used to start with. Some types of glue are easier to 'unglue' than others, but NONE of them are 'easy' or 'riskless'. As for your specific instance, I can't advise anything, just not familiar with the boat/glue used. Jan's idea is worth a shot. Just take care, heat and plastic don't 'like' each other
If/when you do get the stuffing box out, find or make one with bearings and maybe an oiling tube. Since the drive shaft may be 'iffy', you should consider replacing it too. The stuffing box is usually one of the first things put in when building a boat, and one of the hardest things to get out once the boat is built. It isn't a 'two hour' project! That certainly doesn't mean that it can't be done, though.
Good luck...
- 'Doc

(Starting to make a sailboat look better all the time, doesn't it?)
Old 09-17-2004, 07:12 AM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mocars2

There are no bearings in the tube - just a plain brass tube. After discovering the play and the bigger or worn tube - we think the tube isn't loose at all or causing the vibration as much as the sloppy play in the tube from the shaft being not a good fit and banging around and the body flexing to make the shaft hit the inside of the tube instead of riding in the tube - if you know what I mean. With the stock 1/8" shaft in there you can see space all around the shaft while it's in the tube. I bet we could put 1 - 3 pieces of paper around the shaft and there would still be some open space - that's how much room is there - or what ever the actual distance is from a 1/8 to a 5/32 Diameter shaft - that's how much space there is which seems like a ton to me now that I see it.

So the tube is glued down well - how do I free it without screwing up the bottom of the boat?
Hello mocars2,

Intead of replacing the prop shaft tube why not use brass or teflon sleeve bushings on both ends of the prop shaft tube? An example can be found in the Kyosho Airstreak 500 boat. The propshaft tube has teflon "bushings" located on both ends. The stainless steel propshaft rests on the two teflon bushings.
A better but more expensive solution is to use a smaller diameter stainless steel propshaft & insert those tiny ball bearings on both ends.

GulfstreamI
Old 09-17-2004, 08:59 AM
pompebled

I agree there is always a risk of damaging the hull, removing the propshaft from a ABS boat requires some luck and skill.

With my epoxy hulls I usually have more trouble getting the propshaft/stuffing box out, as I've epoxied them in myself, but heating always works.

Regards, Jan.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:36 AM
mocars2

Thanks for the suggestions guys. One problem I see is where the tube comes out under the boat, I don't think I can go much bigger to get one with the bearings or bushings that I've seen on like tower, unless I make a whole new thicker part where it leaves the bottom.Does anyone know of a stuffing tube with bushing in a 1/8" size? Or any teflon or so bushings that would fit a 5/32" shaft - that way i could leave the one that has gotten bigger and just ride on the bushoings - but I don't see any anywhere.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:42 PM
pompebled

Default Another approach

If the heating is a bit too daunting, you can get he old tube out in another way:

Get a brass tube that fits over the one to be removed, snug, but it needs to be able to rotate freely.

Saw one end so it becomes a "circular" saw, put the other end in your electric drill and run it over the stuffing tube, carefully sawing away the glue around the stuffing tube with low rpm to avoid melting the "saw" solid into the hull....

I've use it on many occasions and it works fine.

Regards, Jan.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:04 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Another approach

I would say , forget the solid shaft , go with a flex and change the stuffing tube out . No need then for bearings and what-nots .
More than likely you have a form of resin epoxy ( off white hard stuff ) holding in the stuffing tube . This is a REAL mother to remove . Best bet its to forget the heat , and try using your Dremel with a VERY small carbon round chewing bit ( I call them "chewers" cause they eat the metal/plastic, etc ,away ) then simply replace with an epoxy that they sell at auto stores which is used specifically for plastic tanks ( like the ones on some radiators , the washer fluid tank , etc , etc ) Once that stuff bonds ( and it DOES bond EXCELLENTLY ) , its there with NO leaks . It will usually come as a kit form , which will also include a swatch of glass matting , an alcohol swab , and the two part epoxy ... ( cost is around $6.00 )
regular glass resin will stick at first , but then the vibration will shake it free and you'll have leaks ....
Again , simply go with a flex shaft , and change the stuffing tube .... much better in the long run .
I did this to a WILDCAT which I put a Megatech M-16 engine in and got rid of the electrics . ( p.s. - this is the SAME stuff I used to hold the engine mount to the hull and she is STILL totally intact . )
Old 09-18-2004, 10:59 PM
mocars2

I did this to a WILDCAT which I put a Megatech M-16 engine in and got rid of the electrics . ( p.s. - this is the SAME stuff I used to hold the engine mount to the hull and she is STILL totally intact . )
I assume you had a radio box above your Shaft on the Wildcat - And I bet it's made of the same material as the GP Stinger - so did you take that out 1st before you changed your stuffing tube? If so, how did you loosen that to take it out?
Old 09-19-2004, 09:11 AM
sparky0227

Jan, did you get my pm?
Old 09-19-2004, 11:13 AM
pompebled

Yes I did, plans are on their way!

Regards, Jan.