Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice for boat noob - Shockwave

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Advice for boat noob - Shockwave

Old 09-26-2004, 11:22 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for boat noob - Shockwave

I'm looking to get into boats for a while. Something different I guess. Looks like I'm going to start off with Shockwave 36.

Any good tips for this boat and also for boats in general. Just want some advice from a few people who know planes and boats real well and what to expect from moving into this hobby from planes.

My biggest reason for moving ... I'm tired of bringing home planes in 1,000 pieces because of the most ridiculous reasons other then thumbs. Frickin middairs, servos crapping out ... oh and 1 or 2 dumbthumbs every now and then.

Do these things come home with you more often then planes do? What should I do to keep the Shockwave from sinking? Any other tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2004, 12:23 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Advice for boat noob - Shockwave

Dion,
To be absolutely sure you never wreck a plane, don't fly it! Same for boats except, don't put them in the water.
Having said that, you can minimize the risks in either flying or boating, but that's all you can do. There ~will~ be times when you will have to 'fish' for a boat, but usually not very often, and in most cases the damage isn't going to be 'drastic' (sort of). It just depends on your 'common sense' and attention to details.
I'm not a "Shockwave 36" owner so I can't give you any specific 'hints', but I'm sure that there are several here who can. The 'best' general advice is to take your time, don't get in a hurry, and 'play' with your boat to get familiar with it. If there are any boat clubs in your area, go check them out, it really does help.
- 'Doc
Old 09-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The best bet when asking about a certain boat, plane or what-have-you is to do a search for it.
OK, that being said, I did get to paw one last week at a LHS. The major thing on the boat to work on before you even turn the motor over is to pull out the flex cable. Check it for grease, if it doesn't have any, put some on it. Now, when reinstalling the cable, leave a 1/4-3/16" gap between the drive dog and strut. Too many new owners have broken their cables because they shorten when under power from what we call wind-up.
Place some type of floatation in the hull. Foam pipe insulation or Pool Noodles cut up will do the job.
With your amount of postings it looks as though you know your way around planes, but now you'll have to learn some boating language.
Got questions ,we're here.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:14 PM
STLPilot

Thanks for the tips guys. Is there any kind of combat with boats? I mean don't get me wrong I'm looking for something to just pull the cord sit on a bench and cruise around ... but I'm a retired Marine still always looking to pick a fight. Paintball releives some of that stress from time to time tho.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sure thing! Scroll down a little farther in the "Jump to:" and you'll see a section on that.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:58 PM
rcflyertwo
My Feedback: (3)

[8D]I have the proboat shockwave 36 and have had good and bad times with it. First off loosen the pull cord out of the handle and put at least two knots in it !!! Mine pulled through and it took about two hours to get the damn spring in it once I took it apart[:@] I ordered a sullivan tiger drive to replace the pull start, it uses a hex shaft in a drill to start the motor, about 15 bucks. I have tried using a belt to start it, I use the airplane starter I already have, but the damn pulley keeps coming loose[:@] I have had to pull the motor and retighten it three times so far[:@]I put foam and some shipping air bags in mine, the knurled nut that holds the top on, I put a washer on it with an o- ring so it stays on the lid I also glued a piece of styro to the bottom of the lid in case it ever comes off in the water it will float. I use a longer antenna tube. I grease the prop shaft about every hour of running plus I keep some slack in it when I put it back in. I put a fuel filter on mine. get some extra exhaust couplers as they suck, they fall apart after a few hours of running.[:'(] I have been using offroad car buggy couplers they hold up a bit better. I also pulled off the exhaust flange and port matched it to the engine, seems to run a bit freer now. Get a few extra glow plugs tooo as it eats a few till it breaks in a bit. throw away the rudder linkage and upgrade to 4/40 size much stiffer, I also upgraded to a hitec metal gear high torgue servo. although you may not really need tooo, i feel better about the high torgue one. I sharpened the turn fins and the rudder also. when adjusting the trim planes do it very little at a time. thats about it for now, when it starts and runs I have fun with it. when it gets problematic I get really po'd [:@] Oh yeah, put a gasket in the fuel tank lid as it leaks after a few uses. no pressure in the tank, it runs terrible[X(][:@] I was thinking of putting an OS 46 marine engine in it if I can find one cheap enough. Good luck with yours Butch in Niagara Falls
Old 09-27-2004, 11:22 PM
playtime56

STLPilot,
Since you have plane parts you might want to take a look at airboats too. You can recycle a lot of those old engines and whatever you have lying around. You can find a bunch more good guys in the Airboat Forum, all willing to help out. Just wanted to give you one more option to check out. Best to ya!!!
Gordy
Old 09-29-2004, 03:52 AM
STLPilot

Can you put retractable wings on the airboats?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Spacey

mmm... Dion i'm sure we can come up with some kind of plan. LOL Oh yeah Dion what they say about the flex cable is all true. Keep your eye on that thing or you'll be swimming. Ok well let's be honest here you're going to be swimming alot without a row boat. Hehe
Old 10-02-2004, 11:16 PM
rcguy76

one thing I notices uopn inspection was the two turn fins, they are perpendicular to the side of the hull, they should be perpendicular to the bottom of the hull so when you turn, they are running straight down instead of at a slant, which at speed will actually cause upward lift on the rear of the hull
Old 10-03-2004, 01:35 AM
playtime56

STLPilot,
When you start talking wings and airboats you are getting into WIG's (Wing In Ground effect), which has a following too!! Retractable, I don't know if anyone has done that yet, but give'm time. Airboat guys don't accept limitations !! Do a search, you might be suprised. Best to ya!!!
Gordy