Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

kyosho twinstorm 800

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

kyosho twinstorm 800

Old 10-08-2004, 07:48 PM
gasfreak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyosho twinstorm 800

Has anyone run one of the new twinstorm 800, and if so how fast and how did it handle different water conditions thanking of buying one so any information would be helpful,by the way this is a good looking boat huh!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2004, 01:46 AM
TooManyBoats

Default RE: kyosho twinstorm 800

I have one! The fastest boat I own, I think it's close to my kyosho .16 nitro powered catamaran. Very powerful, I have some nice scars on my finger to prove it. Runs better with a good metal prop and GP3300's. Turns at full speed are kinda scary, I have to slow down for a full turn (no turn fins yet, it needs them but I have more fun with them off) I've been able to do 180's and 360's in the water with no problem. Makes a nice rooster tail. I've run this thing is rough water with high winds and that's not a good idea, flipped it when gust of wind hit it, but it was really cool when it did a 360 in the air and landed in the water right side up! I also flipped it going full speed and then did a sudden full turn near the shore (maybe I hit something under water?) This boat seems to share it's hull and some of the outdrive parts with the Blue Streak, however Kyosho got it right this time and put in dual motors. I don't see a need to upgrade anything at this point, it runs for about 10 mins. before it shuts off full power and allows you to head to shore using short burst of throttle. Good thinking on their part! My outdrive will need replaced soon, it's starting to show some wear. I've run it about 30 times so far. Low maintenance boat. The electronics is in a water proof compartment, and it works. If you can find one, buy it! Here's a video I took of it! 56K death, large file. 40MB
[link=http://www.mustang01.com/boats/TTWWIINNStorm.MOV]Twinstorm Video[/link]

Old 10-17-2004, 06:07 AM
pompebled

Nice work! The flip at the end of the video, I mean.

I don't agree with your statement, that Kyosho has gotten it right though; like the Blue Streak, this boat porpoises, which isn't that bad at it's present speed. (I dare say my 7 cell mono 1 is faster, but that's beside the point.)

If the hull is similar to the Blue Streak, upgrading is not an option, because the porpoising will get really bad, to the point where it gets undrivable.
Have you tried adjusting the steering outdrive a degree or two down, to try and eliminate the porpoising?

I agree that the boat need's turning fins, the cornering is really bad.
If you are willing to invest the time and effort, sharpening the trailing edges of the transom (relative easy to do) as well as the stringers (a lot of work) will inprove the handling substantially.

It's a fine looking boat (like most Kyosho boats), but I'm not impressed with it's performance (like most Kyosho boats).

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:53 PM
TooManyBoats

I love flipping boats I've done much worse! I didn't even have to walk out in the water to get it. Just gave it full throttle and the air from the prop pushed it back to shore This boat will porpoise. I have the outdrive set that way (almost all the way up) to bring the prop out of the water since I'm using a rather large prop. Motors don't get too hot this way. Lowering the outdrive more into the water stops this, but I like the rooster tail so it stays up. It won't porpoise at all using 1 size smaller prop and the outdrive a few notches down. Trim tabs would take care of that porpoising if it was a problem. Almost every boat I have will porpoise without trim tabs, most of them being made by kyosho. (you should see the sunstorm without trim tabs!! it won't even stay in the water - looks kinda cool but annoying after a while)

The lower hull looks axactly the same as my blue streak, they changed the upper half and improved the inner compartments. I'll have to agree with you about the performance of most kyosho boats. Everyone of them I've had to upgrade. Then again, you have to compare performance/features to price ratio.

One of the next boats I'm going to get is a CEN aquajet. Which will be faster? I paid $200 for the twinstorm, used. Retail is $300. Can you find another boat out there that has a 14V marine esc and is RTR for this price?

I'm going to keep the boat stock for now, the run time to performance ratio is very good. If I want to go faster I can always get another nitro boat. Maybe I should make another thread? Fastest stock nitro boat under $300. Same with electric.

I'm curious, what boat(s) are you comparing the twinstorm to? If there is something better I'd like to buy one.

my list of kyosho boats: jetstream 800(x2), blue streak, air streak(x2), twinstorm, hydrojet, sunstorm, Heatwave (nitro cat)
other boats: Blast, EP Hammer, Nitro Hammer (x2), turbo Vee 2, carribean cruiser, h20

Best boat so far, smooth water: twinstorm
Best boat for rough water, waves, wind: blue streak (havn't been able to flip this one)
Old 10-17-2004, 08:31 PM
wismerhell

well, that would be really interesting....best boat under 300USD! looking forward to see what the pros are saying about the subject!

Btw the vid looks nice.........

Wis
Old 10-18-2004, 02:39 PM
pompebled

That would be interesting indeed!

I'm not sure Kyosho can be beaten in the RTR department, although I'm pretty sure the Cen Aqua Jet with the 775 motor will be faster than the Twinstorm.
But other than the Wave Shark (the 775 Motor version) I know of no other RTR boats with a 700 motor.

I compared the Twinstorm with my 12 cell, 700 motor Mono 2 competition boat (MHZ Flash), which is pretty fast, but not nearly as fast as the same hull, powered with a brusless motor, they are really, really fast. (but I'm not willing to invest that much in one boat, I rather have a number of different ones, even if they're not the fastest)

For $300.-- you might get a hull and hardware from www.mhzusa.com , which would be fast, but not RTR.

It's beside the point, but I would never buy a RTR boat, knowing that I would have to invest a small fortune to make it fast(er), I would always prefer to get a hull, motor and hardware and assemble my own, with the knowledge that it will be running faster than every RTR available....

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:30 PM
pompebled

Not to be compared wih the Twin"drizzle", but if you want to watch a really fast electric, download the "Syncron" video from the link below:

http://www.dirk-kramer.de/

This is the same hull Offshore is selling!

Regards. Jan
Old 10-24-2004, 12:34 AM
TooManyBoats

I want one!!
Old 10-24-2004, 05:18 AM
pompebled

www.offshoreelectrics.com

Also order a brushles motor/controller, a set of GP3300, some different size props, do some installing and extensive testing and setting up the boat and you're in business.

Mind you, getting a boat to run like this, can take up to a year of tweaking.

Regards, Jan.