Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Spray Paint ?

Old 10-13-2004, 09:05 AM
lowgear-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Paint ?

HI,
I have a fiberglass hull that I need to paint, does anybody have a Brand that you would recommend ? Unfortunately I have to use a spray can[]

Thanks for your help !!!

Terry
Old 10-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Spray Paint ?

The best results that I've have with a spray can is with Pactra's Formula-U. Second choice is Top Flite's Lusterkote. Both available through Tower Hobbies but they are quitting making the Formula-U so get it while you can. That paint you have to apply in LIGHT coats or it runs like water but has a nice shine and fuelproof to 50% Nitro. The Lusterkote isn't as shiny but I can put it on in heavier coats but only labelled as fuelproof to 20% but it's been hit with higher on my boats. I've tried almost every one on the market and these two are my favorites.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:49 PM
lowgear-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks again Ron,
You have been a VERY big help, I really appreciate it !!

Terry
Old 10-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Ron Olson

No problem, that's what I'm kind of in here for.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:53 PM
stevblutu15

ive seen boats looking awsome done in Krylon, aslong as you clear cote it your pretty safe.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:58 PM
ericthetree
My Feedback: (11)

I've had a lot of success using automotive paint in a spray can. fairly resistant to nitro, and almost impregnable for a gas boat. You just don't have to be limited to LHS for paint.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:10 AM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the choices for clear-coat finishes that are hot fuel proof to 50% that can be used over Krylon that wont make the color lift or melt? I been having bad results with Top Flight colors and clear, and Fourmula U is on its way out. K&B Epoxy colors are great of course, but going past basic colors means high cost. What about the spray fluorescent colors, same deal? I know they react poorly sometimes with a fuel-proof top coat.

Krylon sprays really well for me and they have good colors, but what are the disadvantages of using just the fuel-proof clear method?

Seems it would be more versitile to use a cheaper paint such as Krylon that even works better than the RC brands, and then use a quality clear, spray can or even air gun if needed...
Old 10-31-2004, 10:15 AM
Ron Olson

If you like the 2-part epoxy paints, I found a site that now has them and they are compatable with K&B and other epoxy paints. http://klasskote.com/index.html