Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

help! winterizing zig-zag racer

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

help! winterizing zig-zag racer

Old 10-19-2004, 03:09 PM
jaxon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! winterizing zig-zag racer

I have a zig zag electric boat from hobbyzone. Last winter when i packed it up the motor rusted up and stopped working. What can i do to properly pack it up for the approaching winter season.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:35 PM
dirt dummy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: help! winterizing zig-zag racer

Not a zig zag expert but iI would spray it with WD-40.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

WD-40 isn't the best thing to put in an electric motor. I found that out the hard (and expensive) way with my modded truck motors. A drop of oil on the bushings and some electric motor cleaner should help.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:38 AM
LtDoc

Jaxon,
The 'quick'n'dirty' answer is to remove all the moisture from the boat, along with the battery. 'How' you go about that isn't quite so simple, maybe, but certainly not that difficult. Ever seen the little 'demoisturizer' packets that come in some electronics/foods/leather clothing (some kind of silicate)? Save a few of them and place them in the boat (after you dry it out). A drop of some kind of lubricant on the mechanicals doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't use WD40, which is hydroscopic (can trap water between it's self and metal and cause fantastic rust/pitting). Toss it into the top of a closet (usually warm and dry). Or, use it for an excuse to get another boat...
- 'Doc
Old 10-20-2004, 06:55 AM
jaxon

thanks
Old 10-31-2004, 12:56 AM
torpedox

if you would like the advice from a professional electric motor rewinder/mechanic, the best thing to dry a motor is to remove it from your boat, get a can of "electric motor degreaser" available from a local motor shop. spray the degreaser liberally into and around the motor. the stuff is similar to brake cleaner but wont attack plastics, (usually) try a very small ammount on any plastic first! then wait for when the wife is gone, and put the motor in a preheated oven at 150 degrees F. for about 2 hours. then reoil the bearings with some high quality "turbine oil" also avail. at the motor shop. moisture can get trapped inside the motor winding and stay longer than you can imagine. when a motor is wound, it is then "dipped" in a varnish/epoxy etc. type resin to control vibration damage to the thin insulation coating on the wires. but this also causes voids that can trap moisture. the only way to get it all out is to bake the winding. we do this on a daily basis, at our shop. we call it a CBR. (clean, bake & reinsulate) reguardless of what you may read from others, water and electric equipement dont mix! especially brush type motors.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:15 PM
bte214

Spray if thoroughly with rc motor cleaner.