Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

2 ?'s

Old 10-20-2004, 08:43 PM
stevblutu15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 ?'s

i have 2 different ?'s totally nonrelated to eachother.

1) y is it that when running a gasoline car you can use a air colled tuned pipe but you cant use one in a boat?
2) If i were to design a set of plans for a large planing boat, how would i figure out the correct steepness of the V?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
pompebled

Default RE: 2 ?'s

Hi Stev,

1) I don't know what an air collet is, but tuned pipes are used in gas boats.

2) Take a look at the different designs, how they perform and use what you like in your own design.

A a rule of thumb a shallow V will get on the plane faster, but won't run too well in chop, where a deep V is a bit slower, but handles chop much better.
Using a stepped hull makes he difference even greater, a stepped hull is faster on the straights, but needs to throttle down for cornering.
Every design has it trade off(s).

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

17-23 degree angles on the V hull.
A water-cooled pipe mostly keeps the coupler cooler to help keep it from blowing out. Water through the pipe does cool the pipe, helps to quiet the exhaust and also can make the pipe think that it is shorter than it really is.
Yes, you can use either pipe.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:05 PM
stevblutu15

thanx guys

anyone know about drawing up plans?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:00 PM
pompebled

I could mail you the frame plans of the boats in my gallery, you can take it from there.

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:36 PM
stevblutu15

the problem with that may be stability. i wish to create about a 84"X24" model of this boat here

http://www.vikingyachts.com/65conv/65c_imgs.asp

how can i make it stable enough. i can draw up plans quite easily, im in training to be an engineer.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:45 AM
pompebled

Default Frames & stringers

It's not that difficult to make a hull stable, the traditional way would be frames and stringers, covered by sheet material, the outside hull reinforced with one or more layers of glass cloth and epoxy resin, the inside just epoxy to keep the moisture out.

Shaping the hull out of isolation foam, covered with glass cloth and epoxy resin is another way.

A hull this size will be powered by a gas motor, so a solid motorframe should be laminated onto the frames.

And build a trailer to get the boat to the water...

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:22 PM
stevblutu15

thanx ill draw up a set of plans and let you guys take a look when i get around to it. ive been building a Crackerbox over the past months and went to prime it for the 58th time and the pain bubles off of it. im using automotive primer on fiberglass and it bubbles right off am i doin something wrong?
Old 10-29-2004, 05:18 PM
hellomynameisdookie

If you have pics of your C-Box, post them up!

-Bryan
Old 10-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Try cleaning the hull with solvent before priming to make sure that there isn't any wax or mold release on it. Lightly sand it to give the primer a little extra grip.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:00 AM
pompebled

Did you use polyester or epoxy resin?

Polyester is "notorious" for resisting paint..., it needs to be completely cured (weeks(!) in a warm environment) and clean, wiped with a solvent, sanded lightly. wiped again and primed with primer suitable for polyester resin.

With epoxy I never had any problems; clean it, sand it lightly and prime with a two component primer, lichtly sand it and finish with automotive paint (can be two component too, doesn't need to be).

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:53 PM
stevblutu15

1 i did use polyester but it has been curing for about 3-4 months now haha
2 i did wipe it down wqith solvent lol
3 i wiped off the bubled paint while wet and re primep. im hopin to paint tomm. ill post pics when complete however will be a few weeks.
Thanx guys
Old 10-31-2004, 04:43 AM
pompebled

Don't skip the sanding, the paint must get a grip.

Regards, Jan.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:20 PM
lzvagias

man you have got to keep us up to date on this project. i've been longing to do exactly what you are doing for ever! i had been wanting to do one a little smaller maybe 50" or 60". i have been spent my whole life on and around sportfishers (they are very popular around here) and in my opinion they are the most handsom, majestic, and sleek boats on the water. i have wanted to do a Hatt. or Bertram or a Buddy Davis. I love the lines on these things! I actually worked for a company that built custom real ones and loved it. oddly enough the only company that makes a model is Dumas. if you search the web for rc sportfishers you get the dumbest bunch of junk that i would never call sport fishers. I would love to get a copy of your plans when your done. Good luck and post lots of pics!
ORIGINAL: stevblutu15

the problem with that may be stability. i wish to create about a 84"X24" model of this boat here

http://www.vikingyachts.com/65conv/65c_imgs.asp

how can i make it stable enough. i can draw up plans quite easily, im in training to be an engineer.