Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Water cooling Twinstorm 80ß

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Water cooling Twinstorm 80ß

Old 10-25-2004, 04:56 PM
fjoze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water cooling Twinstorm 80ß

Hi evryone,

I own a twinstorm 800 from Kyosho, and I am wondering if the watercooling works correctly, because I do not see any water coming out of the water outlet.

I noticed, that when running the boat, the water comes in bit by bit, but not as I would expect from a water pump. The water reaches the engines, because when I blow through the system, a lot of water leaves the outlet!

Is this correct, or should the water be "pumped" through the cooling system, or does the twinstorm take the water bit by bit?

Regards from the Netherlands,

Frank
Old 10-26-2004, 05:52 AM
pompebled

Default RE: Water cooling Twinstorm 800

As long as there's water in the cooling sytem, you may assume that it works, even though there's no "fountain" from the outlet

Is the water warm, when you blow out the system?

How hot are the motors after a run and which batteries do you use?

Regards, Jan.

BTW: Frank, do you know the Dutch powerboat site: www.xtremercboats.com ?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:15 AM
LtDoc

I would think that there would have to be some movement of water for the cooling system to be effective. Otherwise, it would amount to just a larger 'static' heatsink (and a not very effective one at that) on the motor. Depending on the size of the tubing, the output of the system wouldn't have to be very much, or very noticable.
- 'Doc

PS - Not having any experience with a 'Twinstorm 800' or it's cooling system, you should take the above for what it's worth...
Old 10-26-2004, 10:34 AM
pompebled

Default RE: Water cooling Twinstorm 80ß

Hi Doc, for what it's worth, the Twinbreaze comes with a spray pickup, which under normal operating conditions gets about 2 bar waterpressure.
Unless the Kyosho engineers made a mess off it, there should be at least minimal flow in the system, even if you can't see water coming from the outlet.

I have the same on my 12-cell mono2, even in a "fly-by" at short range, it's nearly impossible to say if there's flow, only when running into the sun on water like glass, you can see water exiting the outlet.

I know it works, cause every time I blow out the system, my feet get wet....., with lukewarm water, yuck!

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:51 AM
fjoze

Hi Jan,

I'm running the twinsorm on two 7,2V 3300 battery packs. The motors are not very warm after a 10-15 min run. The battery's however get very hot!

Regards,

Frank
Old 10-27-2004, 10:40 AM
pompebled

You can easily calculate the average ampdraw:

Battery capacity in Ah X 60, divided by the runtime in minutes

Example: (3,3 x 60 ) / 8 (minutes) = 24,75 A

Make a timed run, full throttle, until the speeds drops off, use that time in the calculation.

I'm not familiar with the motors in the Twinstorm, but our single motor (600 race) mono 1 draws this current over 8 minutes runtime.

If your twin motor set-up has similar apetite, it's no wonder the batteries get hot.

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:19 AM
TooManyBoats

I have a twinstorm, using the same type of batteries. Even with the Epic 3000's my water cooling works very good, I can see it squirting out the side. The batteries should get very warm but not hot. After a full run, I can hold the batteries in my hand and they are almost hot but they aren't uncomfortable to hold. I'm using a prather 225 metal prop (1.84x2.8) Soon I'm going to use my whattmeter to determine how much current is being drawn, I'd guess between 20-25 amps.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:34 AM
pompebled

Frank, after reading TMB's posting, I suspect you may have a partial blocking in your cooling system, my first guess is the spray-pickup, take the tube off and check for burrs and run a slightly bigger drill through it. (I had something similar and drilling it to a bigger diameter made a lot of difference)
Also there may be burrs on the ends of the cooling coils and outlet, check them too.

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:56 AM
TooManyBoats

Just for S&G, I drilled and cut out the factory water pickup on my blue streak (similar to the twin) and replaced it with a brass pickup tube - about 4-5mm inner diameter and used 5/32" tygon tubing. It's a single motor boat but it squirts out the side a few inches at full speed! The only thing the tops it is my nitro hammer, now that thing can throw some water out the side! oh... and make sure to secure the tubing it only takes a minute for the boat to fill up with water if it comes off, LOL.

edit... I would even post some video of it, but I now have no place to run my boats since some A-Hole decided they didn't like our boats at the lake (pond) [:@]
"No motorized Equipment"
Old 10-31-2004, 05:02 PM
fjoze

Hi,

after testing and running the twinstotm several times, I noticed that the motors do not become hot. They are warm after a 15 min full speed run. I checked the water pickup and found no blockings. I assume that the cooling system works fine, although I can not see any water sqirting out the side.
The batterys can be held in your hands, so I think the temperature is ok.

I run my twinsorm on 2x 3300mah batterys. Has anyone tried a 7 or 8 cell battery pack?

Regards,

Frank