Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Live Steam

Old 10-28-2004, 11:57 AM
tdonily

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Live Steam

Hey everybody,

I'm looking into starting into live steam. Has anyone here worked with any of the companies out there that produce steam plants? I had thought of starting with a Midwest Heritage engine/boiler in one of their boats made for it. But I would like to have more control over the boat other than steering. And I know that Cheddar and Wilesco make engines that can be reversed. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:30 PM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Live Steam

ORIGINAL: tdonily

Hey everybody,

I'm looking into starting into live steam. Has anyone here worked with any of the companies out there that produce steam plants? I had thought of starting with a Midwest Heritage engine/boiler in one of their boats made for it. But I would like to have more control over the boat other than steering. And I know that Cheddar and Wilesco make engines that can be reversed. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Hello tdonily,

I've got a steam powered boat project by Midwest Products Co. Inc. I've had the same thought of including a servo to control a gearbox that should shift the prop into reverse. I'll have to do a little more research on Cheddar & Wilseco on how they did it. I'm also thinking of getting an extended runtine on the sterno fuel. What I'm worried about is an exploding boiler.

GulfstreamI
Old 10-31-2004, 11:46 AM
tdonily

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's your runtime with the standard Sterno can? Wilesco and Cheddar reverse their engines by re-routing the steam into the cylinders. So it's valve work vs. a gearbox. The engines still drive the prop shaft directly.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:22 PM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The runtime on the sterno can is 6-7 minutes. I've tried extending the runtime to 10 minutes by preheating the boiler before I launch the boat in the water. The only problem I see is a gust of wind that might snuff out the flame in the firebox. The valve switching system is a good solution to shift the boat's prop into reverse. Here's a few pics of the boiler running. This steam engine makes a nice putt-putt-putt sound. The flywheel spins very fast at peak pressure.

GulfstreamI
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38922.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	189604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52195.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	189605