Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Depressing day at the lake

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Depressing day at the lake

Old 10-31-2004, 04:33 AM
TooManyBoats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depressing day at the lake

Today wasn't such a good day. I was running my boats (nitro and electric) at one of the only places within a reasonable distance (the same place I've gone since March) and guess who showed up? The police! LOL Apparently someone had complained about us "disturbing water foul" which we were not doing (the ducks stay on the other end of the lake)and we aren't allowed to run the boats there. I was never really sure about it, but up until this point not a single person has said anything. In fact, most people seem to like watching the boats. There's a sign that says !QUOT!no motorized equipment!QUOT! but that is very vague and I'm sure that they didn't have r/c boats in mind when they created the sign. So, now I'm probably going to go to the city council or something and fight for my right to run the r/c boats there. [:@] Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
Old 10-31-2004, 07:26 AM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Depressing day at the lake

We went through the same thing here locally a while back. More than likely you will have to form a club and get a permit to run and even then you may only be able to run one day a week. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:53 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If your City has a Parks and/or Recreation Department, you might want to contact them about a suitable site for you to run your boats. Check with a Department of Natural Resources (that's what they call it here) to see if you can obtain a Regatta permit or similar. All I can relate to you is my experience. We had a Fun Run earlier this year so I got an OK from the P&R Dept. and a permit from the DNR so that we could not be hassled by ANYONE. I'm lucky that my City is very responsive of R/Cer's as we have a County park with a flying field, one with a Scale boat pond and another for R/C cars to race. They have gotten my phone number and have called me asking to see if there was any way that they could help in securing a site to hold a race on! Yes, I'm glad to live where I am and be in R/Cing.
Like Raydee said, see if you can get a permit and have it say they you have permission to run there from one date to another on say, Saturdays from April 1st to October 31st as an example. Our DNR only requires a permit only if we set up buoys. We use the same form as if we were holding a fishing tournament or sailboat race..
BTW, in some areas the Police do not have authority on waterways, that is the responsibility of the DNR except for possibly noise violations.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

We have similar problems here in Western Washington. Several prime running areas have become "OFF LIMITS" because of the same things you are dealing with. One example it Green Lake, just north of downtown Seattle. For years, boats were raced there, everything from tethered nitro boats to actual limited class outboard hydros. Inevitably, someone complained about the noise and(wouldn't you know it) got all power boat racing banned. Now, if you have a sail boat or little electric toy, run till dark, but don't even show up with a I.C. engine. Closer to home, I have a park where powered R/C is prohibited, so I discovered when a park ranger ran me out one day. By going to the county Parks and Recreation office, several clubs have gotten permission to race on one of the lakes. Consequently, there are at least eight events using powered boats and at least one sail event every summer. There are restrictions(which are strictly enforced) but, what the heck, IT'S A RACE SITE!!!!!!!!!!! Here's a couple of pics of one of the two "lakes". Notice the sign in the one pic. Someone threw an "end of season BBQ" and brought beer, resulting in a "probation" period of several years. We had a park ranger on hand for EVERY RACE, looking for rule breakers. Needless to say, it hasn't happened again
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99702.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	189556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48225.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	189557  
Old 11-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Navix

We in Russia have a similar problem, but not with authorities. Local old women - defenders of the nature are afraid, that noise of models can " prevent to be made multiple copies to ducks ". Though their attacks have no lawful bases and the police does not support them, all this brings a lot of inconvenience.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:47 PM
stevblutu15

we used to have a club run here and race in NJ then ppl complained about the noise, the club took it to the town and lost, there hasnt been a club meeting since. Everyone here complains about the canadian geese and their sh*t, literally, if we were allowed to run there would be no problem. i Now run in a river where noone can tell me no!
Old 11-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Navix

Hi All!
Today morning we have come on our "problem" lake to test model. There was a lot of ducks as always (on pic - behind my back). But attacked us old women have disappeared. Why? Very simply: the snow yesterday has dropped out and it became cold, therefore them " gone with the winter ". There is a winter - the best time for boats!
We have started a boat, and ducks have easy gone to canes.
Anybody prevented nobody.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50408.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	189827  
Old 11-05-2004, 05:41 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Now that's what I call a dedicated boater With the snow and all, do you have any problems with the engine getting too cold? I know some have had that problem and have had to come up with ways to keep the engine warmed up
Old 11-05-2004, 09:00 AM
MikDee

Hey Navix, Cool pic, and I do mean c-o-o-l,,, lol,,, Nice boat, Good Luck, Mike
Old 11-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Navix

Hi !
It is an electric boat, therefore there's not problem of motor warming. Basically to keep accus warm. For this purpose I carry them in internal pocket of a jacket.
Real problem is freezing of hands, but in gloves is inconvenient to work with RC.
Thanks for replys!
Alex
Old 11-05-2004, 12:57 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am always amazed that occasionally law enforcement officials will know the minutia of the local ordinance, to the point that is specifically bans RC models.

Any one else in this situation should never leave the location without first, very politely, asking the !QUOT!official!QUOT! if they could give you the specific code and paragraph that applies to the situation. Then go find your city or county codes on line, and see if it A. exists, and B. it actually applies to the situation.

We had a case of someone wanting to operate an ultralight out of our RC field. THE CITY ATTORNEY didn't know that the laws he's supposed to enforce had a prohibition against it. I found it on a 10 minute google search.

Challenge, but do it with utmost respect.

Tom
Old 11-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're flying, tell the Officer to shoot it out of the sky if he doesn't like it! That's a FEDERAL offense!
I heard of one instance in the Elyria, Ohio area were there was a noise complaint filed against some fliers. someone saw the planes and called the Police assuming that the were fuel powered. Come to find out, the guys were flying electrics that day! Yup, you'd better put mufflers on them!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:42 AM
ITHURTZ
Banned

LOL. law is pretty stupid these days. No one can have fun these days. I live on a lucky road. I, my bro and my dad do burnouts in front of the house, drive gokarts and dirtbikes, nitro r/cs etc and no cops ONCE. cop lives down the street and he has coupled irt bikes and atv's as well!