Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

servos

Old 11-11-2004, 11:39 AM
wiz0852
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servos

I have a bunch of new FP- S48 futaba servos and was wondering if they would be strong enough for steering servos on a dumas hotshot 3.5 and a prather lapcat 3 7.5 and surley they should be ok for throttle also?????? Thanks, Gary
Old 11-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: servos

I am not familiar with that servo, but I can tell you this, if your servo is not strong enough it will cause your boat to spinout. With my OS outboard I am useing the 1/4 scale for my stearing. and with the 7.5's I have seen people use 2 of the 1/4 scale servos.
With not having enough power, as you start into a turn the servo is straining, then as you get futher into the turn, some of the pressure is released and then the servo all at once goes to the position that it was trying to get to, causeing a spinout.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:02 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I wouldn't try to use it for a rudder servo. It doesn't have the torque required. For a little history on your servo, it was replaced by the 148(connector replaced with the present design) and later with the the 3001(or is it 3003, I can't remember right off hand). Is it still usable? YES, as long as you don't need over about 45 inch-ounces of torque. To swing 3.5 or 7.5 outboard, you need AT LEAST 100 INCH OUNCES. For a throttle servo, it will work great.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:24 AM
CFRACR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE SOME S148'S, THEY ARE STANDARD FUTABA SERVOS. (SAME AS 3003'S) WILL WORK FINE ON THROTTLE OF COURSE. BUT FOR A OUTBOARD NO!, YOU WILL NEED 1/4 SCALE AS SAID BEFORE, IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL BE ASKING FOR PROBLEMS.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

CF, you'd think that the 3003's would be the same as the 148's. The same size, same torque, same speed, etc. but I've found out that they are 2 different animals. I've had nothing but trouble with the 3003's and would never buy another one. I do pick up the 148's yet on occasion as they have always been trustworthy.
Back to the question now that I've vented. I have used a standard servo on a 3.5 OB tunnel but don't recommend it for steering. I was using Hi-Tec 615 MG's when they made them. It worked well on my 7.5 OB tunnel too.