Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Props

Old 11-24-2004, 07:31 PM
wiz0852
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Props

what are the pros and cons between a 2 blade and a 3 blade prop, and what would be best for a 36 in. lapcat type boat with a 7.5 K&B
Old 11-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Props

A 3-blade keeps one blade in the water at all times and seems to work better on heavier boats. Some props you can only get in a 2 or 3-blade version, some both.
Props for that boat? Take your pick to find the best one. Octura from X447 to X450 2 or 3 blade, X646 or M447. Prather 230 or 235. Sometimes it's trial and error to find the prop that the boat likes.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:50 PM
wiz0852

thanks, that gives me a place to start .. Gary
Old 11-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Ron Olson

The X448 is usually a good one to start with. You can go from there to determine if you can go larger or need to go smaller. Mess with motor angle and height in small increments too to see how a different prop can make a difference.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:48 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Ron is a SUPER guy , and knows his stuff ( wish I knew , just the things he forgot ), but I did want to add one thing the he overlooked in pointing out ....
If your limited on prop availability ( like myself .... the nearest LHS is about 60 miles away and does NOT carry ANY boats parts and I have to rely on getting my parts on the internet ) , then you might want to try a larger prop ( BC - berrillium copper - because it is easier to work than the SS - stainless steel ones ) at first , and trim ( back-cut and trailing edges - cup/spoon/trim ) till you get it to where it runs its best , ( remember to do a little at a time . I use my handy dandy Dremel hooked to an invertor and drag it with me when I run , that way , I can trim away . granted ... the Dremel is NOT the best choice to use for modding a prop , but for "rough" resizing , it works GREAT ! ) and then based on how much you cut , you could take the props measurements and then get a prop in that size and "tinker" with it to get it tuned in "just right" .
Now ... these are things I do .... which means , it might not be best for all , OR .. you might be in an area where boats are big and props are VERY easily obtainable ....
Just remember .... IF modding your own , WASH your hands when done with the BC props .... the copper IS hazardous to your health !
AND be careful .... MANY hands have turned into hamburger when sharpening props .... []
Old 11-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Ron Olson

Thanks Bob! My personal experience with Nitro boats is limited to up to .45's, both inboard and outboard. Anything larger I depend on the others in here. Once I go Gas, I'll need to pick your brain.
Don't ask me about Electric's, things are progressing too fast over there.