Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie gone MAD!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Newbie gone MAD!

Old 12-09-2004, 11:28 AM
P5Pimpin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie gone MAD!

Hello Everyone,

A long time reader (over 3 years) And I have finally decided
to bite the bullet and purchase a 48” Deep-V hull. I have a few
questions and would like to get everyone's option. The only thing this
boat comes with is quality marine grade XL stringer wood already mounted in the boat – spread at 5”
And the rear of the boat is solid no holes have been drilled. I already have a Radio by JR Racing 3 channel
radio. I would like to keep this install as simple and maintenance free as possible. If I have missed anything please feel free to
chip in with your comments.

- What is the best motor for this boat?
I would like to have something that packs a punch and sounds mean.
If I can stay away from the lawn mower sound the better (not sure if that's possible)
Speed and great handling.

- What props and accessories do I need?

- What servos do I need.

- I would like to keep this boat running as cool as possible.

- Rear of the boat, I've noticed like on the "Proboat Shockwave" has 4 pipes do they server a purpose?
I like the looks of having a sweet rear Can this be created on mine? Or better yet can It be used to shoot out water?
see this link: [link=http://www.rcboatmodeler.com/reviews/images/shockwave/3.jpg]Rear of Shockwave[/link]

The company is called: Shark Marine RC and the model of the boat is "Sabre" if that helps!
Thank you again for taking the time to help a newbie out
Old 12-09-2004, 02:26 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Newbie gone MAD!

Hi,

I would point you to someone who can sell you EVERYTHING you will need to get that boat up and running. Call Warehouse Hobbies in Fla. They manufacture and sell everything you could possibly imagine. If you only have a hull and a radio you will need quite a bit of stuff. To me, it makes more sense to get everything at a "one stop shop" then to piecemeal a boat together. If you have never built one before this is even more important. Tony can point you in the right direction. As for the rear end of a Shockwave, if memory serves me correct the exhaust tips are fakes on that boat. The Shockwave uses a canister type muffler, not unlike that of a weed whacker. On the other hand, Tony did manufacture an operating wet tuned pipe with the quad exhaust. And yes, it will spit water out of it just like you are asking. Give him a call or take a look at their website http://www.warehousehobbies.com

As for motors, you can't go wrong with theirs. They sell Zenoahs. I have two Enforcers and they are 4-5 years old now and still run strong and fast (mid 40's or so) As for running hardware, I highly recommend their SPD3 Very easy to install and even easier to adjust. But, your budget will dictate what you will install on the boat.

Good luck!
Pete
Old 12-09-2004, 02:44 PM
P5Pimpin

Hi Pete,

Thanks for replying.
I will contact Tony and take it from there!

What do you think of CMB Marine Boat Engines?
would a .90 be too heaving for such a boat?

Many thanks!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A CMB .90 or any .90 would move that boat right along but the downside is that they really suck down the Nitro, you can use up a gallon in no time.
Warehouse Hobbies, Aeromarine and others are now selling everything from complete kits that you can put together yourself to Ready To Run boats or anywhere in between.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm assuming you are a beginner, so I would recommend staying with a Zenoah and not getting into the "hot" nitro motors to start. Ron is dead on about the fuel used in the .90 nitro motors. The guys I hang out with run .67s in their scale hydros and go through almost a gallon in the four heats and finals they run, total time, about 45 minutes. If they have to run in a consolation heat or two, they have even had to get fuel from other drivers just to make all the heats. The Zenoah G230 wil run all day on a gallon of gas and two stroke oil, for less than 1/4th the cost of nitro fuel. To make matters worse, the higher the nitro content of the fuel, the higher the cost. My K&B .45 requires 25% nitro and the pair of .67s require 50%, according to the owners manual. Can we say $30+ per gallon[:@]
Old 12-10-2004, 08:42 PM
stevblutu15

i agree with everything said above. call tony and he will answer ALL of your questions. He basically built my crackerbox forme when ever i had a problem. I wiould reccomend him to anyone, and the zehoah engine is as relaible as can be. Give tony a call
Old 12-12-2004, 04:57 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Hey PETE ,
Not sure how far away AL's is from you , but you also might want to check with him as well .
And yes , for a cheaper , fast way to move your boat .... the ZENOAH is the way to go .
( and yep , I run big nitro's also , but the price for fuel is a bit steep ..... [&o] - gotta love that smell ... )
Also , you don't have to get a ZENOAH ... there are other weedies out there that will make the boat move along . Like a HOMIE .... not a bad motor and can get going pretty good as well . ( AND they make all the needed hardware for them , like the ZENOAH )
Homies are cheaper , but you will get less speed from them also . )
if you have the monies , then a ZENOAH is the way to go without a question .
Old 12-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Bob, Al passed away over a year ago but his daughter Cindy is running the place now. Don't worry though, she probably knows more about boats and you and me together! She was married to Ron Zaker Jr., one of the best boaters in the Chicago area.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:20 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Whoa .....
Sorry to hear that ... ( guess I need to stay in touch more often [&o] )
But ... on the good note , glad to hear that his daughter is carring it on .