Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

WHICH FAIL SAFE IS BEST?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

WHICH FAIL SAFE IS BEST?

Old 12-14-2004, 02:35 AM
RICHP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHICH FAIL SAFE IS BEST?

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A FAILSAFE, AND CANT FIGURE OUT WHICH ONE WOULD BE BEST. PRICES VERY, BUT THEY ALL DO THE SAME THING. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST ONE THAT I SHOULD LOOK AT? ALSO I READ THAT FAILSAFES SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH ALKALIN BATTERIES.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:24 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Default RE: WHICH FAIL SAFE IS BEST?

I've ran MPI & V e n o m failsafes.

Currently the MPI is down after a dunking & have let it dry out very well & sprayed with A m s o i l MP. It works, but causes the radio to glitch when the boat gets around 150' out. Still a very good fs.

The V e n o m is alright though talk on the street might not be as good. Mine has caused no trouble as of yet (knock on wood).

The best from what I hear is made by Shark Racing. They are waterproof in epoxy & you can order them any whay you want..... PCM, w/or w/o engine shut off. Thats what I'm wanting now if they'll ever reply to the emails. Anyone know a different route other than calling to Brazil please let me know.

Also, I've hear good things about RAM failsafes. Thats another one I'm considering as the whole thing is exposed with not plastic cover. Would be very easy to waterproof.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:25 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

The VENOM's might be good for cars , but stay AWAY from them for boats .... ( pure - doo-doo and lets just say that where I run , there is a little 20 foot , or so , water-falls at the far end of the lake and seems with the VENOM , - two different units , two different boats , that my hulls seemed like they had tractor beams on them when the VENOM's went screwy and water-falls , here we come .[&o]
The RAMS are not only total ly open cover ( which alllows the buyer to water-proof ANY which he/she chooses , but have NEVER had a single glitch , ot problem with them .

Also , ditto on about the SHARK failsafe . ( also going by hear-say )
Carlos should be able to be reached on JIMS ( or someone there would surely know how to get in touch with .. maybe even Mr Nissan ) Haven't seen him ( Carlos ) post there lately ... [] soo ... not sure why that is .
used to be able to go to his website :

http://www.shark-racing.com/Ingles/Sobrenosing.HTM

and email him from there and he would respond ..
Old 12-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Doubledog

Terbo, you use a RAM & like it? E b a y has them for 30 bucks shipped. Not a bad deal & I've almost clicked the buy it now button several times.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Contact William through the Shark Racing site, he is the one making the failsafes for Carlos. I've heard that Carlos has some health issues but William is still making them. These are for Gas boats only not Nitro.
I've got a RAm failsafe. It needs some room as it's the size of a credit card but is thin.
Sonic-tronics makes another one, it's about the size of the Venom's but don't know much about those either.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:20 PM
RICHP

Thanks for the input. Im using a futaba radio what about using a futaba failsafe? Seems to me I should stick to the same brand as the receiver.and transmitter. Anyone had any experience with the futaba failsafe. As long as the connections work between rx and servo I could use any brand. All im worried about is weather there are glitches because my radio is not compatable with the failsafe. Also what about using akalin batteries with a failsafe.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:21 PM
RICHP

Thanks for the input. Im using a futaba radio what about using a futaba failsafe? Seems to me I should stick to the same brand as the receiver.and transmitter. Anyone had any experience with the futaba failsafe. As long as the connections work between rx and servo I could use any brand. All im worried about is weather there are glitches because my radio is not compatable with the failsafe. Also what about using akalin batteries with a failsafe.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:55 AM
Doubledog

Only hear-say, but it was good.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:27 AM
RICHP

I bought the Futuba Fail Safe trying to keep all my radio system the same make. It works excellent, returning throttle servo to netural position on both low battery and loss of signal. The instructions that came with the FS says dont use with akaline batters, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, should the FS be placed on top of the servo tray or under with other wires? I'm new to large scale gas boats and find this board very informative. Thanks for any assistance you can provide. RICHP in WV.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:35 PM
LtDoc

RICHP,
I don't know enough about failsafes to comment on them, so haven't. But, as for placement of any electronic device, the best place is where it's least likely to get wet. That usually means away from the bottom of the boat, maybe up under the deck, in the superstucture (if any). The idea is to keep it dry, which determines it's location keeping in mind center of gravity, etc...
- 'Doc
Old 12-23-2004, 02:05 PM
RICHP

Thanks for the input LtDoc. I,ll rap the FS in a balloon to keep it dry. The akaline battery thing has me puzzled.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:47 PM
stevblutu15

fail safes will eat through alcaline batteries get a pack of Nimh cells off of www.onlybatterypacks.com cheapest site ive found.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:30 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Also , myself , I have not had this problem , BUT , have heard of others ( quite a few to tell you the truth ) that have had glitching problems when putting balloons over their Rx and failsafes . Reasons they claimed were due to all the waitres being sooooo close to another and the wire coatings are not that thick and are not shielded ....
Just some food for thought .
The RAM can be waxed over totally and be 100 per cent safe . ( not sure about any others ) , plus , it arrives to you open - meaning no covering , which makes for coating it , that much easier . I use BEE's WAX as it not only is very pliable , it is very easy to remove if you have to , can stand the heat of even the hottest day , AND is water-resistant ( water-proof ) . Oh , and did I mention - CHEAP ! ! !????? Go to a store like Menards ( 84 Lumber , or the likes ) and get yourself a toilet bowl sealing ring for the bottom of putting a new bowel in your bathroom ( yes , the was is new and clean ... ) And its CHEAP and you can ALWAYS find it where-ever they sell toilets .

I have also done this to seal some of my servos , also without any problems .
Old 12-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Mike Lykins

I have tried the dynamite FS and have not had any glitch at all on any of my boats
Old 12-26-2004, 10:29 PM
Mike Lykins

This is where I found them. Neet little fail safe. I have two in each boat 1 shuts the throtle to any idle and the 2nd one turns the rudder to make the boat go in circles
Hope this helps
Happy Boating

http://search.rcmodels.com/html/dyn2550.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85264.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	207046  
Old 12-31-2004, 02:12 AM
D.red

I picked up an OFNA (Taiwan) Micro fail safe from my LHS. It's intended for a Hammer. Anyone have any experience with this one?
Old 12-31-2004, 06:05 PM
stevblutu15

i would NOT use the dynamite, i had problems with mine, anyone know how big the ram is?
Old 01-08-2005, 12:20 PM
stevblutu15

Any one know how big the RAM is?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Macleod

Try reading Rons reply in this thread !!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:24 AM
stevblutu15

sry i must have accidentally skipped over the credit card part.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:28 AM
D.red

apology excepted!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Macleod

It Ok, put it down to the Christmas hang over.....!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 05:52 PM
stevblutu15

there we go haha
Old 01-12-2005, 12:02 PM
jimjel

None of the failsafes mentioned above, other than the Shark failsafe, will provide protection in the event of loss of receiver battery power. They only trigger on low voltage, and loss of signal.

I've given up waiting for a Shark Racing Failsafe. Appears Carlos has dropped out of the scene quite some time ago. Ordered some failsafes from William about 4 or 5 months ago. Still nothing from him, including communication.

I use Futaba PCM radios which have a built in failsafe, but they do not work in the event of an on board power failure (i.e. receiver battery, or wiring/connector failure).

I am changing my throttle servos to Futaba 9101s. They are a very free running servo when no power is applied, so the throttle return spring on my gas motors will drive the servo to the "throttle closed" position in the event of an on board power failure. Nitro motors could also easily be rigged with a throttle return spring of some sort to accomplish the same thing.

The ability to shut your boat down when things go south is very important. I was a a race in Brandon Fl a few weeks ago and someone lost control of their mono and broadsided the retreive boat which was a fiberglass hull also. The mono penetrated the side of the retreive boat and ended up with about 2 ft of the hull inside the retreive boat. Think what would have happened if the mono had hit a person that hard. Could have easily been loss of life. Something to think about.

Jim
Old 01-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Mike Lykins

I have had no problems with Dynamite units I have even ran the receiver batteries down to check that the LED on the fail safe flashs "lets you know your batteries are going dead" and that I was able under those conditions to run my boat for 1 minute I tested and returned to shore with no malfunctions
I also changed the fins on my SW36
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10082.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	214092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61263.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	214093  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.