Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brand New...boat is coming!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Brand New...boat is coming!

Old 12-22-2004, 09:04 AM
chezhed
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New...boat is coming!

Hello,
I am brand new to this hobby and don't yet have a boat but have bribed Santa and he informs me that I will be receiving a Hobbico Aquacraft Bristol Bay boat for Christmas. Not sure exactly why this particular boat was selected and I'm not sure it's what I want. I was really thinking speed was what I wanted but I wonder if this would be a good boat to start and learn with. I don't imagine it will go very fast but appears that it might still be fun. Should I keep it or send it back immediately for say a Traxxas Villian EX?

I have all kinds of places to run a boat since I live on the water so conditions aren't important and most of the time I will have very little waves. I'm thinking that in the future I would like to tinker with motors, etc, so what could I expect to do with the Bristol Bay in the future?

And a couple questions.....how far away can I expect my boat to operate? And how do I know when the charge will be going to the point that I need to bring it in? Do you use timers or what? I'm thinking I can always retrieve it via canoe but what other ways do people use?

Thanks for any help...I'm looking forward to this.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:11 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Brand New...boat is coming!

chezhed,
The 'Bristol Bay' is a ready to run 'scale' model, meaning it behaves 'close' to the same way the real thing would act. It's slow compared to some boats (very slow compared to the 'go fast's). If speed is what you're after, I'm afraid this one won't make you very happy. but, it'll be fun.

How far you can sail the boat depends on several things. Primarily, what radio system is furnished withthe model. Some of the 'proprietary' (little, or 'toy' radios) that come with RTR boats are very limited in range (no idea what comes with the 'Bristol Bay'). The normal range for common radio systems depend on the height of the antennas, the one on the model and the one on the transmitter. The usual and best thing to do is to perform a 'range test' when you get the boat. Extend the antennas (if collapsable) then walk away from the model to see how far you can go and still have control of the model. The ~safe~ distance is slightly less than what you find with the range test. One thing you should remember is that the range will probably be greater than the distance where you can tell what the model is doing (unless your eyes are much better than mine!).

Should you keep the model or swap it for something else? Beats me! Depends on if you thing it's fun to sail, or if you're set on the 'go fast' thingy. I personally think that there are 'better' scale boats, but I like building them too, and am not that much of a 'fan' of ready to run models. It might be a good boat to sort of 'get your feet wet' with, though.

How do you know when it's time to head for shore? When things start to slow down, or control starts to get sort of erratic. That usually means the battery is reaching it's limits and you'd better head for the 'dock' (or get ready to go get it - lol)! That's true for any 'electric' boat, motorized or sail.

Have fun...
- 'Doc
Old 12-22-2004, 09:59 AM
stevblutu15

Well, for boat retreival, i would definatly reccomend using some kind of boat aka canoe or inlfatable raft. I have gone swimming for boats, in snapping turtle infested water and i would not reccommend it to anyone. Its not fun lol. luckily i survived with all my limbs attached. What a man would do for his boat.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The Bristol Bay isn't a bad boat as far as a RTR scale boat goes, it's pretty well detailed. It is not a speed demon though, it's not made to be.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Actually with the 05 motor in the hull, the thing scoots along.
Not really scale speed. The guy that had one locally this summer managed to
create quite a wake in the harbor, and hit at least two other boats.

Either it needs a better speed control, or the guy was a horrible captain.
I think it was the latter...

But it is definitley not a "speed" boat like the traxxas
Old 12-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Bristol Bay is a gorgeous boat. Wait till you open the box! Take it out for a cruise at dusk with the running lights on. You will love it!