Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What if your boat stalls in the middle of a lake/river?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

What if your boat stalls in the middle of a lake/river?

Old 12-26-2004, 03:13 AM
ch2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What if your boat stalls in the middle of a lake/river?

Ive been considering an RC boat but it's very likely that it would stall in the middle of a lake/river, what do you do in these situations? Do you need to have a real boat or something in case it stalls?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2004, 03:29 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Default RE: What if your boat stalls in the middle of a lake/river?

Fishing pole, swim, black lab, real boat, electro boat, leave it there till the wind blows it to the other side
Old 12-26-2004, 09:49 AM
LtDoc

ch2s,
There are R/C'ers who have never had that happen! There aren't very many of them, but a few, so all of the choices in the above post are viable options (don't know about the black lab though). the real 'trick' is to recognize what's happening with the boat so that you don't end up doing one of the alternatives! Make sure that everything that can possibly be a problem is as 'right' as you can make it (now thats a real trick!), and plan for the worse. Take a camera along to document the 'disaster', that way you can claim it was actually a planned occurance (doesn't make it any easier to 'swallow', just a good excuse, you know?). And most important, don't worry about it to the extent of not having fun...
- 'Doc
Old 12-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Doubledog

ORIGINAL: LtDoc
all of the choices in the above post are viable options (don't know about the black lab though).

You noticed that. LOL. (in case someone is really wondering, it was a joke)

I personally use a baitcasting rod & tennis ball, top water plug with hooks removed, even got desparate & tied a nut on there but prefere something thats going to float & easily fling out a good ways.

Or we're on the fullsize boat & still keep the casting rod handy.

My buddies use electro boats that carry a line connected to a fishing reel. Lap around the stalled boat & reel them both in.

As a suggestion, I' wouldnt' run in moving water. Man is it tempting, but can't see my rig stalling & then chasing it a mile down river OR OR OR running out in a huge lake, having something go wrong & it runs forever before it comes to a stop or even the same about it stalling.

You're doing right by planning ahead.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not run on an open lake, with out a pick up boat. I have seen boats get tosed in, only for the personto realize he forgot to test the radio, or did not turn it on at all. On a full tank of fuel, these little boats can easly run 1-1/2 miles, thats avarage for one race, and still have fuel left over. Its not a good feeling to watch your boat running out of control, and to see it crash into shore, rocks, trees, or just heading out of site.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I take along a fishing pole with a top-water lure attached plus an inflatable 2 or 3 man boat (I have both). They are cheap insurance and beats the chance of drowning. An inflatable boat with oars and an inflator can be gotten for around $30.00 if you shop around.
I had one of my boats go out of control, hit the ponds bank and did a nice jump into the connecting river. Rivers do move a lot faster than they look, believe me! I could easily row downstream but upstream was another story.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:53 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what's so good about electric power, not much chance of losing power completely if you pay any attention to run time at average throttle settings. With electric power, there is no slime to clean up, no vibration to loosen glue greasy glue joints and no fire danger. I have a 48" Chris Craft motoryacht that will come half out of the water at full throttle with 12 sub-c cells with its ancient Liesure 20 ferrite motor. You can sometimes run electrics where glow and gas boats have been outlawed due to pollution concerns.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

No fire danger with electric boats? I beg to differ. I haven't seen one Nitro or Gasoline powered boat burn yet. I've seen a lot of shots of Electric boats burned from overheated ESC's and battery packs.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:54 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

No fires ??? no burn-ups ?? Shoot ... and guess those songs where made for something else ..

( ya know ... Ohhh that smell - Skynard and SMOKE ON THE WATER .... hummm ... here I always thought they were talking about electric boats burning up ... )

Seriously .... NEVER , and I repeat , NEVER seen either a gasser OR a nitro toast ... , BUT , sure have had MY fair share of toasting electrics , both motors AND ESC's ( guess thats why I don't run them anymore ... )

And I am REALLY curious how they perfected the EP boats where there is no need for grease on the shaft , or any vibration and things coming loose ( and talking about that ... loosen glue ??? Sure wouldn't want to be around anyone who "glues" their motor/hardware in place on a gasser or nitro )

hey HAL , or Ron ... remember that fellow ( a while back ) who ran his boat on one of the GREAT LAKES and forgot to turn his radio on and tossed her and she kicked up to full bore ? he said it was headed straight for Canada and posted if anyone up there found it , to please notify him ..... ( true story folks )

back to the post ...
Fishing pole with a LARGE treble hook that has fuel tubing covering the sharp points , for the short distances and a 8 foot john boat for the long haul ( but ... I use a 12 volt trolling motor on mine ... guess I'm too lazy to row ... )
Old 12-30-2004, 04:16 AM
Doubledog

There has also been stories of folks having electro's go under......... with motor still running & all it did was push the boat further towards the bottom of the lake & didn't install flotation.

Btw, I've opened the hatch on mine more than once to find a smoldering mess. If its hot enough to smoke, then its hot enough to cause a fire.

Gas/nitro... Nope, havent' seen one catch fire yet.