Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

speed and steering control

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

speed and steering control

Old 12-30-2004, 08:31 PM
madasapike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed and steering control

Does anyone know how i can control 2 motors so that i have speed control and steering control. using a 2 channel handset and would prefere to keep the controls the same ie thottle and steering.ta
Old 12-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: speed and steering control

Well if they are electric motors just put a "Y" harness from the reciever to two speed controls, or just "Y" harness the out put(if the ESC can handle it) and run the two motors off one channel, and a rudder off of the second channel.

If it is Gas, then "Y" harness from one reciever channel to two servos connected to each throttle.
The rudder always uses the second channel in either case.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:45 AM
madasapike

Thanks for the reply.but not wanting to use a rudder.making a bait boat so going to be running in weeds so a rudder would only tangle.wanting to be able to steer using output from motors ie vector control
Old 12-31-2004, 11:25 AM
stevblutu15

no you need a 4 cahnnel i think
Old 12-31-2004, 12:14 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

ORIGINAL: madasapike

Thanks for the reply.but not wanting to use a rudder.making a bait boat so going to be running in weeds so a rudder would only tangle.wanting to be able to steer using output from motors ie vector control

Well I would think that you need an "Air boat" if weeds are going to be a problem...
However, how about channel one for speed control(both motors), and channel two for cutting the power from one motor or the other(steering) You can place a couple normally closed switches on the positive side wiring of each motor. Then when you want to steer right, a servo will turn off the right motor, and visa versa.

Another interesting possiblity, is that if you run the motors in "series", you can use the switches to bypass the motor you want to turn off, and that would increase the power to the remaining motor and make the turns a little quicker.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:24 PM
madasapike

Thanks. know what your saying but an air boat would be of no good as of design. had seen a gadget on ebay months ago that plugged into channel 1 on receiver and connected to esc's to vary power to each motor. wil just have to keep on looking or use a 4 channel set and steer it like a tank.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Essentially you are looking for a device that the model airplanes use for a "V" tail airplanes.
A "V" tail mixer allows the rudders on the V-tail airplanes to either act like rudders or elevators. Moving in the same direction, or opposite each other.
In the past it has usually been a mechanical set up, but perhaps you can fine some sort of electronic version that might work like what you saw on e-bay
Old 01-01-2005, 03:02 PM
LtDoc

...It's called an 'elevon' mixer. Some radios have that function and there are after market 'mixers' that do the same thing. Check around in the 'flyers' forums, they aren't that uncommon.

Personally, I think I'd rather 'mess' with a rudder, even with the weeds. Probably more inconvenient, but at least I'm familiar with rudders... and weeds...
- 'Doc

PS - Gotta remember we're dealing with 'fishing'. There are no sane 'guide lines' for fishing...
Old 02-01-2005, 01:03 PM
drspiff

How 'bout a cheap (<$10) R/C car, boat, tank etc.? I got a cheap hovercraft that uses differential motor control for steering. It sounds like you need "tank" controls. In a tracked vehicle, each track has a joy stick. When both are forward, the tank goes forward. When one is forward and the other is "less forward", the vehicle turns in the direction of the weaker or less forward track. This is why twin-engine pilots practice engine out procedures.

The simplest solution is to use two ESC's and each stick would control one motor. Then you have steering and throttle in 2 channels.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I think DrSpiff has your solution. You would need a twin stick two channel with both thicks mounted up and down. Another option would be an Ace Nautical Commander. This radio has twin up/down throttle controlls as well as a side to side rudder stick. You could use it for your bait boat as well as conventional rudder boats without having to modify it for either set up.