Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Steam

Old 01-02-2005, 05:57 PM
LtDoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam

Okay, I've been toying with the idea of building a steam driven boat for some time. Just ordered a kit and steam engine so I can't procrastinate about it any more. So, what can you tell me about steam engines so I don't turn me or the boat into a lobster? I'll make it real easy, I know that steam is hot. From there, everything is going to be 'new' to me. Words of one sylable or less would be appreciated!
- 'Doc
Old 01-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Steam

I don't know a lot about Steam power either. I've seen some run and have seen how the fire them up, etc. by the guys at Midwest Products at a Great Lakes Scale Ship Regatta. They use a fuel, like Sterno or some little blocks of some kind for the heat source for the boilers.
What do you need to know? Everything? Ok, except that steam is hot.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:42 PM
stevblutu15

agreed steam is hot haha no actually i would like to know more myself about steam, maybe post a thread in the scale section
Old 01-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, that would be a better place to post it. They would have more experience with steam. Not too many peole use steam power much any more. Back in the old days of Tether boats, they used flash steam to run some incredible speeds.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:54 PM
leisure lake

My dream boat has always been a steam powered African Queen. The Midwest steam engines seem pretty simple to operate, but not built for speed. The boiler is fired by a sterno/parrifin based fuel. Sounds like a fun project, don't get burned!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:25 PM
expeditionx

Steam engines work with presurized steam to force the piston down the cilinder. then that fly weel helps the piston back up the cilinder and thats when the exhaust port opens to releve the pressure so it wont just lock up and explode! Kinda works like a two stroke engine.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:06 AM
vett
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wha kit and engine did you get, maybe I can help.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 AM
LtDoc

Vett,
I have the 'Elliot Bay' launch and the 'Heritage' steam engine. I'm not really having a problem with the boat. There are things about it I'm not completely thrilled with, but that isn't unusual is it. One of 'those' things is the inaccesibility of the rudder servo when the boat is complete. If done correctly, that shouldn't be a problem (HA!), but not being able to make corrections makes me 'nervous' (I'll probably cut a hatch to 'cure' that).
Long, long ago in a universe far away, I had some experience with large steam plants, so not knowing what I'm doing with the Heritage engine makes me 'nervous' (no experience and chicken). Any 'short cuts' climbing the learning curve would be appreciated! Being naturally clumsy and having a natural talent for doing things wrong doesn't help either...
- 'Doc
Old 02-03-2005, 11:18 AM
vett
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doc I have built that one. the steam engine is really simple just keep it oiled and let it warm up. the adjusting screw with the spring will get loose so what I have done is to put some fuel tubbing over the threads and that seems to help it from getting loose.