Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to boats...want a fast one.

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to boats...want a fast one.

Old 01-04-2005, 01:47 AM
NightLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to boats...want a fast one.

hey all just moved into a house w/ a nice private lake behind it so i can finally get a RC boat

im pretty familar w/ RC stuff as I have heli's and planes....and planning on buying a MT in the near future.

so kit or RTR doesnt matter.

i want a pretty fast boat...something i wont get bored with.

what are the pros and cons to O/B and I/B 's?

how about mono vs Tunnel?

im looking to spend $600 or under for EVERYTHING.....

Thanks

Chad
Old 01-04-2005, 02:29 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: New to boats...want a fast one.

Sorry for laughing ... but I though the post said you want a FAST boat ?
For $600.00 , you can get an average boat ( around 40 to 50'ish ) but , by no means is it considered fast ( as compared to over 100 mph )
I thought you were referring to around 70'ish ...
Anyway .. pends on what kind of boat you are wanting ... size , what type of engine .
And as far as speed whereas inboard verse out .... never really seen too many outboard gassers ( yes , I know they make them for Zens and what nots ) , but for nitros , I would go with inboard .... BIGGER selections ...
And hulls ... the fastest would be rigger .
monos and crackers at the bottom of the list ...
but you also have to realize that with speed , comes a loss of ability to run in ALL water conditions . ( meaning - rough , choppy , semi calm , and glass )
Deep vee monos can handle just about anything , whereas a rigger can only do glass ( unless you want to go after it alot ... )
You stated that you plan on buying an MT in the near future ... what , might I ask , is a MT ?

Now , for the part where you want something that you won't get bored with ..
Well , that can be taken two ways .
1) nitro engines ... you'll NEVER get bored with them . Why ? 'cause you ALWAYS have to mess with them tuning them proper .
2) gassers . well , you "could" get bored with them , but , if you have deep pockets , then the skies the limit and you'll never get bored .
Both go fast . Both are GREAT to run .
I have a few of both and have no preference .
Like , if you want a 30 inch hull , or there abouts , then nitro is the way to go . That size is too small for a gasser .
But , if you like BIG boats , then either or . Gas OR nitro . They engines of proportionate size to adaquately fit .
Now , realize , the BIGGER , the MORE the monies you will dish out .
( especially for nitro fuel for a nitro engine ... man those 90's suck fuel like my kids suck down soda pops on a 100 degree day )
Think of it this way .... a day at the lake with a gasser , might cost you around $5.00 , whereas a day at the lake with a hull the same size as the gasser , but with a nitro , well , lets round it off here and say , roughly $30.00 for the same amount of run time .. ( but with nitro , remember , you WILL be adjusting them WAY more than a gasser )
For the monies you are saying , you can get yourself a nice hull RTR with a HOMIE in it .
Or a nitro setup , but , in a little smaller of a hull . ( these are only rough figures , of course , you can find some "deals" out there for a better price , but all in all , those are general figures )
Also , FTR - little'er does not mean faster either .... and same with nitro verses gas . Both have knocked over 100 mph ( and lets not leave out electrics - EP , they , too , have topped 100 as well
If interested in EP , then hopefully , someone else will pipe in and assist .
best of luck ,whichever route you go ..
and welcome to RC boating .... its a BLAST .

( shoot , almost forgot - duh ... airboats ... can be done CHEAP and not any record breakers , but still a BLAST and kinda fast ... take a look over at the AIRBOAT forum here on RCU and you will find some very interesting videos , pictures and stories . ( they too , can be gas , nitro , or electric . )
Old 01-04-2005, 02:48 AM
NightLife

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

Sorry for laughing ... but I though the post said you want a FAST boat ?
For $600.00 , you can get an average boat ( around 40 to 50'ish ) but , by no means is it considered fast ( as compared to over 100 mph )
I thought you were referring to around 70'ish ...
Anyway .. pends on what kind of boat you are wanting ... size , what type of engine .
And as far as speed whereas inboard verse out .... never really seen too many outboard gassers ( yes , I know they make them for Zens and what nots ) , but for nitros , I would go with inboard .... BIGGER selections ...
And hulls ... the fastest would be rigger .
monos and crackers at the bottom of the list ...
but you also have to realize that with speed , comes a loss of ability to run in ALL water conditions . ( meaning - rough , choppy , semi calm , and glass )
Deep vee monos can handle just about anything , whereas a rigger can only do glass ( unless you want to go after it alot ... )
You stated that you plan on buying an MT in the near future ... what , might I ask , is a MT ?

Now , for the part where you want something that you won't get bored with ..
Well , that can be taken two ways .
1) nitro engines ... you'll NEVER get bored with them . Why ? 'cause you ALWAYS have to mess with them tuning them proper .
2) gassers . well , you "could" get bored with them , but , if you have deep pockets , then the skies the limit and you'll never get bored .
Both go fast . Both are GREAT to run .
I have a few of both and have no preference .
Like , if you want a 30 inch hull , or there abouts , then nitro is the way to go . That size is too small for a gasser .
But , if you like BIG boats , then either or . Gas OR nitro . They engines of proportionate size to adaquately fit .
Now , realize , the BIGGER , the MORE the monies you will dish out .
( especially for nitro fuel for a nitro engine ... man those 90's suck fuel like my kids suck down soda pops on a 100 degree day )
Think of it this way .... a day at the lake with a gasser , might cost you around $5.00 , whereas a day at the lake with a hull the same size as the gasser , but with a nitro , well , lets round it off here and say , roughly $30.00 for the same amount of run time .. ( but with nitro , remember , you WILL be adjusting them WAY more than a gasser )
For the monies you are saying , you can get yourself a nice hull RTR with a HOMIE in it .
Or a nitro setup , but , in a little smaller of a hull . ( these are only rough figures , of course , you can find some "deals" out there for a better price , but all in all , those are general figures )
Also , FTR - little'er does not mean faster either .... and same with nitro verses gas . Both have knocked over 100 mph ( and lets not leave out electrics - EP , they , too , have topped 100 as well
If interested in EP , then hopefully , someone else will pipe in and assist .
best of luck ,whichever route you go ..
and welcome to RC boating .... its a BLAST .

( shoot , almost forgot - duh ... airboats ... can be done CHEAP and not any record breakers , but still a BLAST and kinda fast ... take a look over at the AIRBOAT forum here on RCU and you will find some very interesting videos , pictures and stories . ( they too , can be gas , nitro , or electric . )
lol now its time for me to laugh...sorry

man i thought 40-50mph was hauling....i guess i was sorely mistaken.

so i guess inboard is the way to go?

riggers....those are the boats w/ the 2 sponsons and the main hull connected right? not to good for rough water mainly built for pure speed?....dont want one of those.

so mono or v-hull? i know that in real life v-hulls can handle the waves alot better but are usuually much heavier and more costly...is it on the right track w/ rc boats?

lol a MT is a Monster Truck...sorry for the confusion

the gasser's intruigue me for the sheer run time and costs of fuel....

may i ask what a HOMIE is? assume its a type of engine... gas or nitro?

whats a nice RTR w/ a HOMIE ? link? price? etc.

not to intersted in electric power...never have been but thanks.

about the airboats....intersted in more of a V-hull or tunnel hull boat...like the cig boats in real life...

Thanks

Chad
Old 01-04-2005, 03:16 AM
TERBObob

so i guess inboard is the way to go?
IMO ( in my opinion ) , yes , that is what would be best ESPECIALLY for gassers .

so mono or v-hull? i know that in real life v-hulls can handle the waves alot better but are usuually much heavier and more costly...is it on the right track w/ rc boats?
not always true . There are some that are just as light as hydros , cats ( but of course , the riggers are featherweight compared to the other choices of hull ) and as far as more costly , actually , I believe there are more models of monos and are cheaper than the rest .

may i ask what a HOMIE is? assume its a type of engine... gas or nitro?
Sorry ... a HOMIE is a Homelite engine , which have proven themselves to be a very decent gas engine for boats . AND , you can readily find parts for them . BRAND NEW ( of course , not water-cooled or such ) but , you could buy them from places like HOME DEPOT for arounf $70.00 .
And a Homelite ( aka - Homie ) is a weedeater gas engine , of either 25 , or 30 CC in size .

whats a nice RTR w/ a HOMIE ? link? price? etc.
there are quite a few ... Some of the more popular models are like the WAREHOUSE HOBBIES ones and PRATHERs .... you can generally find one that is already setup RTR - on places like JIMS BOAT DOCK for a decent price . Occasionally , here in RCU marketplace too , but , most of them are WAY over-priced . Also check EBAY . BUT ... before you DO bid ,check with others here on the forum and make sure that there is no bad deals from that seller AND that the boat IS put together properly AND that the estimated aprox speed that they state is NOT just one of those EBAY over MPH deals ( which means , there are a LOT of guys that give some outlandish fiigures when it comes to speed that the boat supposedly does AND the rated HP )

about the airboats....intersted in more of a V-hull or tunnel hull boat...like the cig boats in real life...
Airboats ?? Guess what ??? I made TWO v-hulled airboats ... BOTH run GREAT too ...
Anyway ... since your into the cig style , you might want to check for a PRATHER AGGRESSOR ... it is a 31 incher that CAN accomadate a gasser engine , will do around the speed you are talking for "fast " and IMO are neat little hulls ( got two of them myself . Just finshing up my second one . This one has a nitro engine in it which WAS a gasser converted . 18 CC Shindaiwa fully modded also . [8D] ) Won't know how she runs till the spring thaw ( live in Iowa and the waters are kinda 'hard' ( frozen) till somewhere around March or so - [&o] )
Old 01-04-2005, 08:29 AM
stevblutu15

for 600 bucks, i have no idea where to find a boat that will do 40 or fifty except maybe ebay. My prather fun cruiser does about 25 and was 500 bucks when i bought it 5 years ago. now i notice prices have come down a bit but 40 or 50 man thats steep. I built my crackerbox with a Zenoah from Warehouse Hobbies, and have well over 1000 bucks invested in it. That boat hits fifty miles an hour. if you find anything that you think is worthy, as said above post it on here and well tell you what we think. good luck.

(PS. monster truck wise, HPI savage savage savage savage)
Old 01-04-2005, 09:52 AM
TERBObob

STEVBLUTU15,
New ? no , Thats why I directed him to JIMS and also EBAY ... THIS is the time of the year to buy also .... wait another couple of months , and those prices then will start to go up .
Old 01-04-2005, 12:26 PM
LtDoc

NightLife,
"Fast" is relative. If you've never 'messed' with boats before, 40 - 50 mph is going to be ~much~ faster than you'd think. Sort of like going from a 1/4 scale Cub to a jet, gonna be a very slick 'learning curve' there - LOL!
You're also going to have to take a hard look at 'where' you're going to try sailing the thing. It'll take a much larger puddle for a fast boat than a slow or moderately fast boat. Not to mention the noise of a gas/nitro engine, some places won't let you run them (here for example, noise abatement ordenances).
And who sez you can only have just one boat, or you can't modify one? NOBODY has just one boat, or ever leaves things exactly the same! (Oops, there IS one exception to that, but what does SHE know, right?)
- 'Doc
Old 01-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Glad to see you put that in Doc. I've seen boats doing over 80 and the guy driving is concentrating so hard he actually was sweating. I've been at scale hydro races where nobody really cared who won because they were all having a good time, even though the boats were doing mid 50s. Fast is great, but being around other boats and boaters is also a lot more fun than solo running. I would worry more about handling than a high top end. What good is a "fast boat" if it's broken on the beach from hitting a tree, or worse still, another person. In the hands of a beginner, a fast boat can be dangerous. I would find a boating club in your area, if there is one, and have them help you out. You can have much more fun and be a better boater as well.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:09 AM
NightLife

thanks for the replies guys.

how are those airboats? speed/handling wise? sutiable for a beginner?

Hydro junkie the lake is fairly large and is only open to kayk's and canoes

about the noise ordance....i saw some RC boats while we were lookng at the house so its not a problem....no HOA either

im looking at the following boats....whats the speed/handling capabilites of each?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDP64&P=0 really like this one...but i havnt seen any .45 outboard engines....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHME3&P=0 this ones good b/c its a RTR kit...not much time to get together

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDP71&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDP66&P=0 how are riggers for handling? again what engine?

how about air boats?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE387&P=0 really like this one to...like a big brother to the aquacraft boat...again what engine?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBTC2&P=0

feedback would be greatly appreciated. engine recomendations would be great!

Thanks

Chad
Old 01-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First one, an antiquated hull. It's been around for 20+ years. K&B 7.5's are hard to find right now.
Second one, a lot of boat for a small motor plus I'm not a fan of steerable outdrives. It's also plastic so you'd have to clean up fuel spills quickly.
Third one is the hull only, another boat that has been around for a long time. It's probably been a good 6 years since Prather has come out with anything new.
Number 4, you rarely see any outboard 'riggers running anywhere East of the Mississippi otherwise you'd get thrown in with 7.5 inboard 'riggers that would eat you alive if you decided to race it. Again, trying to score a 7.5 K&B. See #1.
The Airboats I won't comment on as they are not where I have any experience with.
$600.00 is a low price for a new boat with all of the equipment, I'd hate to think of all of the money that is sitting in my workshop!
Like Ltdoc daid, speed is a relative term, what would be fast for you might be a slug to others. I can see you wanting something that you won't get bored with in 15 minutes. Do some looking around and get what you want. Tower's selections for boats isn't what it used to be. In Florida, there are lot of good Dealers and manufacturers so you are close to plenty of the action. Rocket City Racing, Warehouse Hobbies, Expresscraft Boats (Spare Time Hobbies) to name a few. Read the magazines, check out the web sites, R/C forums and look around at your local Hobby Shops to see what's around you. See if there are some clubs in your area. Maybe somebody has a good used boat for sale that's in your price range.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:57 PM
playtime56
My Feedback: (1)

NightLife,
Since you already have plane experience, you might want to look into airboats. You may already have nearly all you need if you like to build.Florida has lots of guys into r/c airboats. Check out the Airboat Forum. You'll find links there to other sites. Most of those guys post here too, so there is all kinds of help and advice available to you. Main requirement is you got to want to have FUN!!! Best to ya!!!
Gordy