Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

prop balancing

Old 01-15-2005, 01:01 AM
wierd_dragon
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop balancing

hey

what's a way that i can sharpen and balance my prop at home. i don't have a prop balancecr and quite frankly didn't know until recently that props needed to be balanced and sharpened. how can i effectively do that at home?

thanks
Old 01-15-2005, 01:22 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: prop balancing

I do mine all the time, I just did 4 of them this week. The latest issue of RCBM has a small article on doing it. Also www.funrcboats.com has another excellent article on their site.
I just started using the Top Flite prop balancer, it is a good one but too sensitive for the average boater, you'll go over the edge trying to get it perfect on that one. I have an old Robart that does a good job too.
You don't need much else in the way of tools, I use some small files and my Dremel for final polishing.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:36 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

what i found was good for sharpening (and removing material for balancing) is good ol' sand paper. 220 grit will make it very easy to sharpen, use 100 grit if you need to remove a good amount of material for balancing. i then use 400 grit on the whole thing to get imperfections out and then polish it up with some 2000 grit. seems to work well for me, but then again i don't race my boat.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:38 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

btw: Ron, do you wear any sort of mask or respirator while sharpening your props? the props i have come with this huge warning label about how much the metal particles are a hazard to your health
Old 01-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Ron Olson

I don't but I should. Octura does recommend sharpening the blades under running water. The filings will drop off the prop and don't float in the air. They put that warning on their packages because of some law in California requiring them to do so. I'd be more worried about breathing California air! The next warning would probably tell you not to eat the props! You could also work on them outdoors to keep anything inhalable away from you.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:12 PM
wierd_dragon

what if you dodn't have the balancer itself. as in i have nothing. i have suffiecient tools to sharpen it and polish it, but i don't have the balancer that balances the prop. is there anything i can usue or make?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:24 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Make one .... use a old shaft or a full thread bolt that fits the props shaft exactly . Then tighten around it with some appropriate nuts .
Now , there is one thing that is UTTERLY important when sharpening props .
This is a MUST DO .
This MUST be realized BEFORE even starting to sharpen / balance props ( whether Berillium or SS . Of course , the plastic ones don't apply here . )

BE CAREFUL ... lots of hamburger fingers end getting to feel how sharp the prop gets BEFORE the water does ! Why do I call them "hamburger" fingers ? well , because , if your not careful , THATS what you'll have when your done !
Old 01-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Ron Olson

One more thing. I just came up from doing some polishing on the ones that I worked on the other day. For safety if you're worried about the Beryllium copper dust is to wash your hands after working on them, especially before eating anything.
Here's a couple of excellent sites to give you more info:
http://www.rcprops.com/TechNotes/rcprop_tech_info.htm
http://www.rcboat.com/prop.htm
http://www.geocities.com/jwohlt5362/Propguide1.html
Old 01-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Ron Olson

Josh, last night I was talking to Mark Sholund, owner of Props-4-U in a chat room. Mark does about 600 props a year so he knows what he's talking about. I asked him about respirators. He told me to use the best that you can afford. Even for the beginner or those that don't do that many, I would get at least a disposable paper filter mask. I can get them from work for free so I'm going to get some for future use. If you do your filing or sanding under running or a sink of water you won't need a mask. Just don't use a Dremel tool in the water! I had to add that in so that I don't get my tail sued off by someone stupid enough to try that stunt.[X(]
Old 01-16-2005, 11:19 AM
TERBObob

you mean like WINNEBAGO did ( got sued ) a while back because the idiot that bought that big self-contained RV , set the cruise , got up , went to the back for a cup of coffee while the RV was running down the road at 55 and thought that the cruise would control the entire vehicle ? ( dumby didn't figure it out till after he crashed - DUH ! ! ! )

( still hard to believe that fool got ALL that money PLUS a brand new RV )

makes you wonder where folks common sense all went , huh ?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Ron Olson

You're talking about the "Stella" awards. do a search on "Stella Award" and you'll see some doozies!
Old 01-16-2005, 03:07 PM
TERBObob

LOL ... yeah .. thats the ones ....
So you mean , you don't want to be in there listed as the fellow who forgot to mention that you are NOT supposed to stick electrical running tools under water when their not meant to ? LOL