Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Underwater military paint

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Underwater military paint

Old 01-16-2005, 05:14 AM
Defofthecrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underwater military paint

Hey guys,

I'm actually a spearfisherman but I come over to this site to get info on composites. I build a ton of stuff out of polyester and epoxy resins. The RC forum is great b/c it involves similar scale and environmental conditions. Anyway i have a new cored gun which is glassed over. I have a camo paint job in mind and I've searched the site for info but couldn't find what I was looking for. Sorry to interupt your usual flow with an 'unrealated' post, but hopefully it will help some people here as well.

what I'm looking for is flat underwater paint in military schemes availble in small quantities. The lower the price the better-of course- but adherense ,abrasion resistance, and durability are most important. The surface which will be painted is epoxy. Also, what primer would be best? A link or online store would be great, or shops in North Bay area of San Francisco. Thanks for your help guys. Oh, the area to be covered is basically 2"x3"x40" . Now I'll go back to lurking.

-Chris
Old 01-16-2005, 09:47 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Underwater military paint

Chris,
You ready for this? Know of any place that sprays in truck bed-liners? It comes in all kinds of different colors, is water proof, scuff resistant, all those 'good' qualities. The 'bad' part is that it isn't cheap and they'll probably think your nuts (you're in California, maybe they won't think your crazy?).
In a more conventional vein, Wal-Mart carries spray paint in 'Camo' colors. Follow the directions on the can for priming, etc. Finish with a flat, or satin, clear covering... Very much cheaper than the above...
- 'Doc

Sorry about the reference to California, couldn't resist.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:11 AM
Defofthecrown

Make all the Cali references you want. I've only been out here for a few months and i miss the East coast. It's funny, there is a comercial speargun manufacturer that uses the spray in bed liner to coat wood guns! Bet you weren't expeting that.

Will any old exterior grade spray paint work. I know paint binds to epoxy well but wanted to do this right the first time. Is this what you guys use on your hulls?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:43 PM
drspiff

Regarding low-viz underwater paint over epoxy, I suppose you could use a 2-part epoxy paint. You can get it in pints and quarts at automotive paint suppliers, and places like NAPA Autoparts. While most cars do not spend extended hours underwater, I would guess that properly catalyzed and cured epoxy paint would be "close to bullet-proof" in this application.

As for flat versus satin or glossy, once the paint has cured, rub the gun with a rag dampened with a solvent like Acetone, MEK, or Laquer Thinner. This will usually dull a glossy coat down to satin. If you really want low-viz, rub the gun down with 0000 steel wool. That will knock the shine off.

Regards,

Dr. Spiff