Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

K&B engine lock up

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

K&B engine lock up

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:06 AM
wierd_dragon
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B engine lock up

hey

i was wondering, i was starting my K&B outboard engines today, and all of a sudden, both of them locked up when i was starting them. why is that?

thanks
Old 01-17-2005, 12:57 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: K&B engine lock up

hydro-lock would be my first guess, caused by too much fuel in the combustion chamber...were you able to get them un-stuck??
Old 01-17-2005, 09:04 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Not really a good way to describe it ... hydro-lock happens when a hot engine sucks in colder water which in turn causes the piston to lock in place - kinda like welds itself to the liner/wall.
whereas flooding is a simple fix . loosen , or remove glow plug and turn over the engine to let excessive fuel escape . Then tighten or replace glow plug and start as usual . And with flooding , nothig happened to the engine .
you could also wait a while and the fuel would drain off the top of the piston , but , it would happen again unless the extra fuel was vacated from the engine .
Old 01-17-2005, 03:41 PM
wierd_dragon
My Feedback: (1)

since it's water cooled, the hydro-lock sort of makes sense, but the thing is that the water cooled araea doesn't go into the engine and i was running it on a test stand and since i don't have a water pick up line for it yet, i ran a bucket of water through a fuel line into the water cooled chamber and that worked fine to cool the engine. there wasn't fuel in it either, the sound of it seemed that it wasn't picking up enough fuel. it was stuttering and didn't run consistantly. i have to tune it, but i don't know how so i just play around with it but it gets frustrating so i stop. so today, i opened up the engine and installed the water pick up line because it came today and have yet to try it out but once i opened it and turned the engine by hand, it worked fine

now i just have to worry about tuning that engine

thanks
Old 01-17-2005, 04:23 PM
TERBObob

Ok , turn the needle GENTLY in , till it stops . DO NOT force it . Just when you feel it stop , that is stopped . Then turn 2 1/2 turns out . Then start the engine and fine tune from there . In when the engine kind of bogs when you give her the gas and out when she runs fine and fast and then slowly dies out . Remember ... it is ALWAYS safer to run richer , than it is too lean !
Old 01-17-2005, 06:43 PM
TERBObob

Ok , one more thing ... to clarify HYDRO-LOCK;
say you are running your boat and shes up to temp , then all of suddent , for some reason , your boat gets swamped and flips ... now , the engine is HOT ... the water - cool . When the boat flips , sucks in water thru intake or exhaust ports , it hits the HOT metal and causes HYDRO LOCK ( not always mind you ) .
HYDRO LOCK happens when the piston basically , for lack of a better definition - melts to the piston liner/wall .
Causes the engine to LOCK UP ... not to move again ( without major repairs that is )