Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

boat cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:33 AM
wierd_dragon
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boat cover

hey

i have a hull that's similar to the enforcer gator boat. except instead of the gasoline engine, it's got a radio box in tthere and the power it supplied by a K&B outboard engine. since there's no engine in there, i'm worried about it picking up water and maybe (a big maybe) sinking. so i want to make a make shift cover for it. do any of you have any ideas on how to do that? thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 01:22 AM
Rob Douglas

Default RE: boat cover

I'm not a fiberglass EXPERT but, you could shape a piece of foam block to the right shape and size . Then lay the glass over it, when the glass has hardened remove the foam. Apply the gel coat, sand and paint.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:40 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

If you use foam as stated above , be sure to use epoxy resin with the glass . regular fibreglass resin ( poly ) will eat thru the foam .
Otherwise , you could also check on EBAY . There are a few hull manufacturers that are also selling JUST the hatches and some will even make them to specs . Again , check on EBAY and inquire as to the EXACT size and ask for MORE pictures . This way , you KNOW whether or not it will fit .
Old 01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
wierd_dragon
My Feedback: (1)

the plastic that alot of people use to cover their radio boxes in older boats. Where can we get that? i know it's a little heavy and i only have a little piece of fiberglass that extends out so that i can bolt it. i'd use the fiberglass technique that you guys stated above, but since i'm a high school kid, i have no idea what you're talking about and probably can't get access to it.

thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 03:41 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Not sure exactly where MOUNTAIN VIEW is , but assuming northern CA . Any marine boating shop will have it . And , unless there is some CA law , anybody can usually buy it .
plastic ? Smoked plexiglass ? from local hardware/glass shop . ( can usually get it as thin as you need . ) Otherwise , try a local craft shop for some thin sections of plastic . here , there is one called HOBBY LOBBY that sells plastic sheets .