Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Governing Bodies for R/C boating

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Governing Bodies for R/C boating

Old 01-19-2005, 09:35 AM
RaVen1357

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governing Bodies for R/C boating

Hello, I was wondering if there are any governing organizations for R/C boating. R/C Car racing has ROAR and NORRCA. I just wanted to know if any groups perfomed an equivalent function for boating.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2005, 11:13 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Governing Bodies for R/C boating

http://www.impba.net/
Old 01-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You really need to be more specific. For power boats there is the above listed IMPBA, as well as NAMBA, and the APBA. For Sail boats there is the AMYA. For scale boats, there is another group, but I don't know the name. I'm sure there are other organizations for other kinds of boats as well.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:04 PM
RaVen1357

Sorry, I'm thinking power boats such as the Traxxas Villian.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:10 PM
RaVen1357

Checked those sites out, just what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want to go racing, the Villian isn't a boat to do it with. In the IMPBA you'd get tossed in with the "B" mono class, "A" mono in NAMBA. This class has boats hitting the high 40's to low 50's. Boat racing isn't cheap with the Nitro classes but we're working on that.
Texas has both IMPBA and NAMBA clubs so check out both sites.

The problem with most mass-produced boats is that they do not fit into any class where they would be competitive. Clubs can if they wished to and if there is an interest in their area, make a class for these boats. The IMPBA does have an "ABS" class which does limit the engine size to .165 cu. in., pull-start only, mufflers only, no tuned pipes and of course an ABS plastic hull. So far since this class was made, no one has held a race using this format. The reworked IMPBA "A" class has been updated to use the engines up to .129 cu. in. so that the .12 car and truck engines can be used. This class has gained a lot of interest but as far as I know, no club has held a race for them. I'm awaiting for this to be started myself as I own 2 mono's and 2 outrigger hydro's running .12's.
One other big problem is time. You can only squeeze so much racing into a one day event so a lot of classes aren't run especially if there is little interest in that District. If you can find clubs in your area that have a Novice class, you could run a Villian for instance in that and have a better chance than you would in the other classes.