Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Radio antenna

Old 01-24-2005, 01:08 AM
jserb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio antenna

well heres my question, you'll all probally think im crazy. But whats up with the antenna?? do we really need to have the antenna held up 6inchs higher than the hull of the boat?? does that REALLY make a differance? i mean i KNOW not to cut the antenna BUT just how much of a differance does 6 inches of hight make? i have a dumas windy airboat and a dumas chris craft that i have spent 10000000000000 of hours on, and i really dont want to lose that scale look on the water with an antenna, then again i dont want the boat going 70ft and dying on me. so i need to know if putting the antenna on and up really is a life saver~![:-]
Old 01-24-2005, 02:25 AM
SublimeJason
Banned

Default RE: Radio antenna

I don't know if this will work on a boat, I think it would.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49723.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	219871  
Old 01-25-2005, 03:48 PM
pompebled

Without the proper antenna length, your range will be severely limited.

I solved the "ugly" antenna look, by using a 0,3mm spring steel wire (LHS) as an antenna, soldered it into a 2mm goldplated connector (male), glued the female counterpart in the deck.
Reduce the antenna wire by the antenna length.
This allows you to remove the antenna for display purposes and put it back on when running the boat.
Thin as it is it will easily stand up 6" and is unvisible within a few feet.

Make sure to bend an eyelet on the end, to avoid losing an eye, when picking up the boat, it's that badly visible....(don't ask)

Regards, Jan.

P.S.: On my competition boats I have 16" antenna's from 0,8mm spring steel, and even these do not show on pictures of the boats at some speed and distance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51651.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	220498  
Old 01-25-2005, 11:07 PM
LtDoc

jserb,
Is that 6" really necessary? Only if you want some kind of reasonable range. If it bothers you, install the antenna inside the hull with nothing showing. It will decrease your range some, but that's what you pay for the 'scale' look.
- 'Doc
Old 01-26-2005, 02:59 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Yes , antenna height DOES make a difference . The higher up you go , the better the reception .
Old 01-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

What I've seen people do in the past is to run the antenna up the inside of one of the tails. It makes a majority of the antenna hidden except for a few inches sticking out the top, as well as supporting the antenna by giving it some bracing and keeping it out of the wind.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

On my Dumas Windy I use a Dumas wire antenna mounted on the deck just forward of the radio compartment on the port side. I reduced the length of the RX antenna wire by the length of the Dumas antenna. It works just fine and doesn't seem to shorten the distance that I can operate the boat. Tower has them for sale, but without instructions. They are easy to figure out and include a small plastic ball to keep you from poking out your eye. As far as appearance is concerned you can't even see it out on the pond.