Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New idea for a rigger ?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New idea for a rigger ?

Old 01-27-2005, 03:20 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New idea for a rigger ?

Anybody ever try making a rigger with a VERY slight arch in the bottom like a vee ? ( slight , I am talking 3 degrees . )
Why ? I was thinking that with a rigger , like an airboat , that flat bottom is nothing but drag , but with a very slight vee , it would get up and have less drag . The "vee" would run the entire length of the hull .

Thoughts ??

good or bad , lets hear them .
Old 01-27-2005, 04:53 PM
MrChilly

Default RE: New idea for a rigger ?

I have to say it sounds just right...I´m not into riggers tho, but common sense tells me that you are right here Terbo...
Old 01-27-2005, 06:15 PM
stevblutu15

try it
Old 01-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The idea of a flat bottom on a rigger is to keep it OUT OF THE WATER By putting a Vee bottom into the center section, you are lowering the hull back into the water, therefore adding drag. What you have to remember about ALL hydros, be it scale, sport or rigger is that the hull is only running on the back 25% of the sponsons and the prop. The bottom of the boat isn't touching anything while running at speed, so a vee bottom isn't needed. Having said all that, go ahead and try it, as I'm interested to see what the results are as well.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:20 PM
MrChilly

Yo Hydro Junkie, I think you missed the point here? The idea was to get the hull out of the water quicker, and wouldn´t a slight "v" do that? Or am I just way off here? Maybe the "v" will make it slower to get on plane, since it "cuts" the water rather than getting up on it? Or maybe I don´t understand the idea in the first place..=) If so, don´t mind me...
Old 01-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

John Finch was doing some experimenting with basically what you are talking about. How his testing came out, I'm not sure. He used more of an angle on his. He did one article in RCBM and he kind of snuck a shot of the bottom of his boat in there.
I think that if you started the Vee where the stuffing tube starts to exit, that would be good enough. I was thinking of trying this out on one of my .12 'riggers, I might have enough wood already cut to build another center section.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:37 AM
MrChilly

Ron, please do so, as I am really curious as to how this will turn out. All new angles (ok, a little pun intended) on construction of boats is good and is what will get the developement forward. Be sure to post the results quickly when you have tried this...=)
Old 01-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Zac Price

So to that thought, what about a concave area down the tub. Tunnel the airflow to lift the transom? That way the faster it goes the higher the transom is, creating a lower angle of attack on the sponsons making it faster.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:21 AM
TERBObob

Oh sure ... where were those thoughts Zac before I built the bottom [&o] ....
Good ideas . Got the tub done . Now deciding on a little something different concerning the sponsons . Not sure how it will all work out , but it'll either be a BIG total flop , or she'll run GREAT .
HYDRO , the amount of angle I am talking is so minute' that it is only there for faster and better planing . And I thought , ideally , you want ALL boats to run on the prop , and not the transom area of the bottom . [8D] ( at full bore )
Well , gotta get me some epoxy and will do some more on it soon . Will post pics as she progress's . ( got a while before we have soft water here .. hopefully NOT toooo long of a while [] ) Got 4 new boats gotta test . And the trigger finger ( throttle pistol grip ) is getting VERY itchy .
Old 01-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Zac Price

Mine finger itches too and it's snowing like mad here. I finished up my rigger last night. I spent half the summer tuning to more power and have just added more power. I hope to see 80's with a rigger this year. That's one boat done.... now for the other 4
Old 01-29-2005, 02:56 PM
TERBObob

You too , huh ? Spring better hurry up and get here ... with all these itchy fingers ,
Zac , mind if I ask , what others are you building up ?
Old 01-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Zac Price

Besides the Van Hussen rigger I just finished I have to build:

32cc McCulloch Dart
Zenoah 260 Dart
PI Hydro 260
Sprint cat 260
Then if I get those done I have an Ellison rigger to build. Just waiting on a few parts to come in. I have almost everything I will need for the builds...... good thing the wife can't see the bill [X(]
Old 01-30-2005, 10:48 AM
stevblutu15

Zac send one here and ill build it for you. haha, having very little money sucks.