Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are all motors Bi-directional?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Are all motors Bi-directional?

Old 02-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Freakazoid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all motors Bi-directional?

Hi all,

Im looking for a 280 size motor for my boat, wich has to be capable of going in reverse. But ive seen some pictures of motors that had an arrow on em to indicate turn direction, so I was wondering, can I use this motor for bi-directional usage? Multiplex Permax 280 7.2V Motor

I dont want to end up in the middle of the lake with toasted brushes and maybe even an onboard fire, so I asked you guys. Better safe then sorry, right?

Cheers,
Sven
Old 02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Are all motors Bi-directional?

Freakazoid,
No, all motors are not bidirectional, but the one you mentioned is. There's usually a difference in efficiency between forward and reverse, and I would think that the arrow indicated the 'forward' direction. I'm sure you will do 'trials' (play with the thing) before launching, so just make sure everything works right. Shouldn't be a problem... (famous last words, right?)
- 'Doc
Old 02-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Freakazoid

Its for a 10" rescueboat, to fetch any of my (or my friends) boats in case any of em get flipped. Were tired of going for a swim, so we need a little coastguard action.

I was already planning on doing some bathtub testing because Ive got a rather uncoventional propellor mount going, wich might pop off, so ill give it a full workout before going out in the open.

But a boat like this will probably do a lot of back and forth movement, so the motor has to be up to it. Ill put in the permax then, if you think it wont get mauled by changing the polarity all the time. Ive heard you can run a motor in 2 directions, BUT... you have to choose one direction for the brushes to set. Ah well, its a cheap little motor, so why not, ill see what happens.

For those interested, heres the gimpy little nikko conversion im talking about: Nikko Atlantic 95.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I used to mess with electrics a little, mostly trucks and buggies before I found boats again. A lot depends on the timing. Some very stock motors like the Mabuchi's are usually set at "0" degress which will run fine in either direction. A motor with advanced timing will run with reversed polarity, just not as well.