Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

paint and glass

Old 02-08-2005, 01:09 PM
jserb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint and glass

Everyone on here has been so helpfull and yet i still have another question. can u paint wood then fiber glass it? i am finishing a chris craft and i need to paint areas of the deck black, BUT their are little white strips inbetween the wood (stryin strips), and i dont want to cover them up with the black paint. i feel if i paint over the glass that i would not get a strait line along the edge of the white "clucking" strips on the deck. so i was planning on painting the deck first THEN glassing,/// THEN comming back and painting the hull. i guess since i am paint before i glass,/// THEN i am painting after i glass/// will that cause a problem??(possibly two different contrasts.) would my black turn out foggy?? need some help on this on, i dont wanna paint then find out the glass will ruin the black finish. thanks again everyone!!!

john

IF anyone knows about glassing, when i glass my wood boat, will the glass fill in a 1/16th inch seam???
Old 02-08-2005, 10:32 PM
crrcboatz
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE: paint and glass

IT would not be a good idea to paint first. Fiberglass first, then paint. The mess you would have would probably ruin some excellent wood work you have done and be irreversible.

Regards Curt
Old 02-09-2005, 04:19 AM
Macleod

Be aware that the glass and resin might not stick very well to the paint, plus the resin might attack the paint as well.

Best bet is to try a sample with the paint first then the other with the glass first. It's better to use samples than to ruin your boat if it all goes bad......[:@]

If you dont want to sample test then glass and resin followed by the paint. If the paint dont stick it can be removed....
Old 02-09-2005, 04:13 PM
stevblutu15

i screwed my crackerbox up while building it pretty bad, and believe me, it neede ALOT of glass work. you really dont wanna mess up with this stuff, it will take a long time to fix. Your best bet is to paint last, and if you knick it just keep a little bottle of touchup paint.